A/C Clutch??? please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CGKirk1104

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I'm fairly new here, and I want to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge that has allowed me to fix A LOT of problems I have been having with my hoe over the past year. But now I have another one. So here it goes:

I have broken 2 A/C belts in the last 2 months. When the belt was on the AC compressor, it would run ok, but then with low idle or even low rpms it would make a terrible sound that reminds me of the sound a leaky exhaust manifold makes. It will make the sound for a while until it either changes gears or the rpms go up a bit it seems. But then again it happened quite frequently with the AC going. It does not go when the heat is on, so that narrows it down to the AC system. However, I have no idea what could be the problem. My guess is either a AC compressor clutch is gone, or I need a new compressor. Has anyone had this problem before? If so what do I need to do to fix it?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, it was 97 with heat index of 105 today in Louisville, KY so driving my black truck in the heat and sun is VERY uncomfortable!!

Warrior14

Reaction score
Got the same problem. Ive had it for about 1.5 years now. The ac is still cold as ice. But the God awful sound it makes is driving me insane. Ive heard that it is the clutch is going bad. but you might as well replace the entire compressor. Advanced Auto Parts has the compressors for around $275-$350. Its defiently nothing i feel comfortable doing. On another note i heard that you can adjust the clutch on them somehow and that sometimes helps. Theres a guy in my town who will do it for $40 bucks.. I havent gotten around to call the guy. Been busy. Maybe someone in your city can do it. Save you some $$. Hopefully we'll make it through the summer with it. I live in arkansas and up till this week we had steady triple digits for about a month or so. Anywho Goodluck with your ac and finding a cheap fix.

dz2a8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where you at in arkansas, i can shim that clutch for ya for a lot less than 40$ it only take a few minutes, and if im not mistaken it can be done without evacing the ac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts