a/c compressor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

412HOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A/C help....my a/c compressor seized up yesterday and snapped my belt , I dnt have the money rite now to relace it but i saw a by-pass pully at auto zone , inee to know if i can just take the comprssor out and use this...i mean i know i can but do I REALLY have to empty the system or is there a way around that.....96 tahoe 5.7 thanx guys

OP
OP
412HOE

412HOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I"ve seen it done on a ford , they have a manifold type deal on they'ers so you sayin the tahoe is not set up the same ?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I don't quite understand what you mean by manifold type deal. The refidgerant needs to be removed like any other vehicle before the system is opened.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that the bearing seized and you cant turn the ac pulley when the ac is off, or the compressor seized with the pulley and ac clutch?

OP
OP
412HOE

412HOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
cant turn pulley while ac is of .....i could them goin about a week ago them POW ...it seized up....

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

the ford truck i saw them do this pulley swap on had the inlet and outlet hose going into the back with a bolt in the center....the **** the bolt out and just pushed the hoses aside put the by-pass pull on and just drove like that , when the took mthe hoses off no gases came out

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if nothing leaked out then there system seems to have been emptied already. Either by someone or from a leak. if your a/c had been working when this happened then you will have a charge in your system. If it is charged when you open it might get a little messy and unhealthy.

You know if it is just the pulley/ clutch assembly and you can turn the the center shaft plate freely replacing that clutch/pulley assembly might not be that expensive. $100 I believe and you don't have to mess with the rest of the system and you would have a functional a/c again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weeda3068