A/C Compressor making noise 97 Tahoe 5.7 L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe97

Reaction score
6 weeks ago, as a result of losing all the freon over the prior 8 months. I had my A/C discharge hose line set replaced and A/C system evacuated and recharged with A/C subsequently blowing cold. For a few weeks the system ran fine but now I am hearing an unusual noice coming from the compressor when the system is running. Sounds like bearings going bad. A picture of the OEM compressor part # is attached. Can anyone cross reference this OEM # to the proper replacement part # for a new compressor? My dealer indicates #19169360. Vehicle VIN # 1GNEK13R4VJ308619. Is it possible the clutch mechanism is failing and could be replaced without replacing the entire compressor? Thanks fellow forum members!

Edwards 97 Tahoe AC compressor.jpg

BattleTank

Military
Reaction score
Where is the noise coming from? If its a grinding/rattling noise, probably clutch. Typically if you have internal compressor failure, you have ZERO cold air, but the compressor still runs. Best way to verify is with a set of gauges to monitor pressures.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Where is the noise coming from? If its a grinding/rattling noise, probably clutch. Typically if you have internal compressor failure, you have ZERO cold air, but the compressor still runs. Best way to verify is with a set of gauges to monitor pressures.
Thanks, still blowing cold. Can the clutch be replaced w/o removing the compressor and evac'ing and recharging the system?

BattleTank

Military
Reaction score
Most of the time they can be replaced without removing the compressor. But having the compressor on a bench is easier given the current location. Unless yours mounts higher than mine does.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only part of the clutch mechanism that could or would make noise is the bearing that the clutch pulley rides on. Much more common for the compressor to fail and or leak or both. Every truck I've owned and many I've worked on have had the compressor replaced. Best deal I've seen is the whole kit from Rock Auto.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
I removed the serpentine belt and was able to spin the compressor and it is totally silent. Would this suggest that the noise may be clutch related? I will take it to the mechanic tomorrow that replaced my discharge lines, evac'd and recharged the system 6 weeks ago and see what he thinks is the issue.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You spun the pulley which rides on the bearing but it had no load on the bearing. As I said good chance your compressor needs replacing. When the hose was replaced did they replace the orifice tube? That should have been done and if it had trash on it that would have been a sign of the compressor going bad.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
You spun the pulley which rides on the bearing but it had no load on the bearing. As I said good chance your compressor needs replacing. When the hose was replaced did they replace the orifice tube? That should have been done and if it had trash on it that would have been a sign of the compressor going bad.
You are correct. The compressor is going bad per today's visit to the repair shop. It did not exhibit these symptoms when the discharge lines were replaced and the orifice tube wasn't replaced at that time. I was advised to continue to use the system until it simply no longer cools and then at that point we can go ahead and install a new compressor, orifice tube, maybe a new condenser, clean everything out, and then reload. If I can make it through the summer, then this project may have to wait until April 2025.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some reading while you wait=

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with the compressor and orifice you should replace the accumulator. If you buy a kit it will come with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brdyptrs