A/C fan won't stop running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todd0276

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an '05 Yukon XL SLT, yesterday I went to the store and noticed that when i turned the A/C off, the fan for the defrost kept running. When I got to the store and turned the truck off, the fan still ran. I was in the store for maybe 15 min. and when I came back out, the fan was...yeah you guessed it...still running. It will also blow hot air on the driver's side sometimes, no matter what the driver's side thermo is set to. The passenger's side works just fine, even when the driver's side is blowing hot air. I had a friend of mine tell me it sounded like a relay has lost it's ground, but I don't know where to begin, and I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. Any suggestions?

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your looking for something quick and free to try. maybe at least a temp fix try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if it stays off once you reconnect it? maybe a fuse or ground? i dont really know where to begin with that ive never heard of the fan staying on after the truck is off lol. i know when one side stays stuck at a certain temp its the door blend actuator. my 03 got me good with that it dropped into the 50s one night randomly and my side only blew a/c while the passenger side was blowing 90 lol

OP
OP
T

todd0276

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, but I've tried that. I pulled the 40 amp blower fuse, and that's the one that seems to be juicing it. Now I don't know what else to do, other than call a mechanic. I hate to do it, I've already been told to expect the 8-900 dollar range on the repair.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I don't know what else to do, other than call a mechanic. I hate to do it, I've already been told to expect the 8-900 dollar range on the repair.

That dollar amount sounds like guess and nothing more. If you can't diagnose it, than paying someone to do it right the first time costs less than replacing parts or paying a shade-tree mechanic to learn on your dime. It doesn't hurt to take it to a dealer/shop and ask for a quote.
I know repair bills suck, but sometimes we all need help.

Good luck

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Newton, NC.

oh well, so much for me offering to help you track down the problem! LOL

you should find a good and trusted mechanic to help you find the short. does sound like a ground issue. ant recent accidents, any other parts changes right before this started happening?

Copland

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know if this gonna help you, but i had a similar prob with my hoe. The fan kept on running on the maximum level, not matter if a/c on or truck has been totally switched off. The only possibility to shut it off was to pull the fuse. It turned out that the culprit was a bad blower fan control modul, located right next to the blower itself. After swapping out the modul everything was working again as it's supposed to be. At some point all these crappy control modules starts to turn bad, a real pita...

Greetings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee