A/C Whistling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Embeeous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased my first GM in 30 years, a 2018 Tahoe LS, best truck I’ve ever owned, except for one minor issue - it makes a high pitched whistling noise when the A/C button is engaged and illuminated. Sometimes it doesn’t happen right away, but it always eventually happens.

I have been trying to troubleshoot this with all of my local “experts” for months. My long time trusted mechanic, and then my local dealership service center, both suggested replacing the expansion valve, which I did, but the noise continued. The A/C runs fine, blows very cold, but anytime that A/C is engaged, either cooling down the truck, defrosting, an auto function that uses it, etc. eventually the whistling will start again. A few times I could swear that it was whistling when the A/C wasn’t even on, but I don’t want to go there with this thread :)

The dealer said that that is the normal operating noise for the compressor, then they actually sat me in a police version of the 2018 Tahoe that they had on site, to show me that it makes the same noise, it did but the noise in that Tahoe was a lot softer. Their position was, it is what it is, Tahoe A/Cs are noisy, live with it. I find it hard to believe that all 2018 Tahoes make this noise, it’s annoying to the point that anyone like me who likes to drive in peace and quiet would bring it in to get it checked out.

Chevy Corporate was kind of useless when I contacted them, and suggested that I bring it to another Chevy dealer for a second opinion. Other forum posts have suggested someone who specializes in air conditioning system issues, or getting/using a stethoscope or the like to really diagnose where the sound is coming from. Sorry, I’m not a mechanic, so I can’t help anyone help me on what to do here.

I would consider replacing the compressor outright, which is an obviously crazy expensive move, if I thought that I wouldn’t wind up with another noisy compressor.

Not sure what to do here or where to go, hoping someone reading this might have some suggestions.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Look at the cabin air filter. Pull it and turn the a/c on and see if noise is gone. You may have a clogged up cabin air filter causing this.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased my first GM in 30 years, a 2018 Tahoe LS, best truck I’ve ever owned, except for one minor issue - it makes a high pitched whistling noise when the A/C button is engaged and illuminated. Sometimes it doesn’t happen right away, but it always eventually happens.

I have been trying to troubleshoot this with all of my local “experts” for months. My long time trusted mechanic, and then my local dealership service center, both suggested replacing the expansion valve, which I did, but the noise continued. The A/C runs fine, blows very cold, but anytime that A/C is engaged, either cooling down the truck, defrosting, an auto function that uses it, etc. eventually the whistling will start again. A few times I could swear that it was whistling when the A/C wasn’t even on, but I don’t want to go there with this thread :)

The dealer said that that is the normal operating noise for the compressor, then they actually sat me in a police version of the 2018 Tahoe that they had on site, to show me that it makes the same noise, it did but the noise in that Tahoe was a lot softer. Their position was, it is what it is, Tahoe A/Cs are noisy, live with it. I find it hard to believe that all 2018 Tahoes make this noise, it’s annoying to the point that anyone like me who likes to drive in peace and quiet would bring it in to get it checked out.

Chevy Corporate was kind of useless when I contacted them, and suggested that I bring it to another Chevy dealer for a second opinion. Other forum posts have suggested someone who specializes in air conditioning system issues, or getting/using a stethoscope or the like to really diagnose where the sound is coming from. Sorry, I’m not a mechanic, so I can’t help anyone help me on what to do here.

I would consider replacing the compressor outright, which is an obviously crazy expensive move, if I thought that I wouldn’t wind up with another noisy compressor.

Not sure what to do here or where to go, hoping someone reading this might have some suggestions.
well they are correct in telling you to use a stethoscope. otherwise you are wasting your money time and effort "guessing"
that is the simple truth of the matter with mechanical "noise"
no one here can "guess" any differently............

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that being said you could easily pull the filter out and see if that does it or you could unplug the fan as well
those are about the only 2 things you could manually check without being a "mechanic"
the filter and fan are both behind/under the glove box, you just need a star bit screw driver, unsure of the tip size at the moment

*the only time my 18 made a whistling noise was when a vent was closed and the fan was on, this forces the air thru a tight spot, not unlike how a whistle is designed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moe Amin

Latest posts