CV axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peeledpeas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For diagnostic reasons can I remove one of my CV axles and still drive it? Or so I need to bolt a dummy joint onto the outer hub for bearing preload?

OP
OP
P

Peeledpeas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I'm working on my 03 Silverado but it uses the same hub/bearing as my 05 Yukon so I figured the answer should be the same for both. I have a low growl noise that sounds exactly like a bad wheel bearing but I replaced it and the noise didn't go away. I would have bet my fortune on it being a wheel bearing because it gets quiet when I turn left as the truck leans away from that side.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When do you hear the noise? All the time under all driving? Turning left or right at what speeds?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you change both sides or just the one you thought was bad? I’ve been fooled by the whole turn left/turn right thing, especially when I can’t feel any significant wiggle in the hub when I check it, and just go with replacing both as they usually have similar miles.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not drive the truck with the axel removed. it wont happen on the fist block of driving, but if you get on the hwy the front wheel will come off. i know to many ppl who tried this to limp home when they busted one. the damage is substantial. the end of the axel holds the hub together with out it, it just comes apart.

now if you got a old busted one, you can pull the spline shaft part off the cv joint and bolt it back through the hub and be just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarg8900

Latest posts