A distracted driver finally got me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Family and I were coming home from a local town fall fair, came to stop at a redlight and the teenage driver behind us in dad's Avalanche ran into us. Everyone was okay. It was my first accident with my son in the car so I got to unfortunately experience that brief second or two of paranoid parent concern, but my MIL in the backseat said she doesn't even think he knew we were hit.

The kid that hit us has only been driving for a year and a half. I actually felt bad for him as it was his 1st accident and once he saw my son he was really worried.

Cop asked him what happened and he admitted to playing with the GPS/maps program on his phone. Cop said he writes up this accident 3X/week at this intersection and figured he knew exactly what happened.

Tahoe did a good job at protecting us from a similar sized vehicle. Tailgate even still operates perfectly fine:

Tahoebackedit_zpsf41ac6c5.jpg

His truck was leaking coolant, so it was towed:

Avfront_zps670c7aa5.jpg

Son got to play in the fire engine (yeah, he needs a haircut:D):

9817cd95-67eb-40fd-b72a-327d5f2e75c9_zps91321f04.jpg

IMG_6965_zps0566c916.jpg

We both have the same insurance co. so hopefully this is painless to resolve. Hope the kid learned his lesson.:toetap:

So anything I should be mindful of when getting it fixed? Not sure if its a coincidence but I went to call my wife from the parking lot at work this morning and the bluetooth didn't link with my phone.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man!! sucks about your Tahoe but I'm thankful everyone was alright and no injuries. Like you said, hopefully the insurance process will be painless since you both have the same company. Looks like the Avalanche got the worse of the damage :)

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Man!! sucks about your Tahoe but I'm thankful everyone was alright and no injuries. Like you said, hopefully the insurance process will be painless since you both have the same company. Looks like the Avalanche got the worse of the damage :)

Thanks man. As long as the family came out safe, that's all that matters. The Tahoe did its job. Yeah the Av was leaking coolant everwhere.

Couldve been totally worse

Yep. We were very fortunate.

Nice foxbody!

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
Man that suxs. But luckly everyone is ok. My worst nightmare is something like that especially now with having kids.

Leylah

Nor * Cal
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Born & Raised in Cali - Now residing in Indiana
Thanks man. As long as the family came out safe, that's all that matters. The Tahoe did its job. Yeah the Av was leaking coolant everwhere.

Yep. We were very fortunate.

Nice foxbody!

Man that suxs. But luckly everyone is ok. My worst nightmare is something like that especially now with having kids.

Yes! I feel ya there! Mine too

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

x2

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear everyone is okay. One thing for sure these trucks are one of the safest things to have your family in. Makes it worth the mpg.

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score

Yeah, that was my 1st accident with my son in the car. Amazing the paranoia that runs through your head in those 1st couple of seconds after the crash, but the Tahoe did its job in keeping everyone safe.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Thanks.

Nice to hear everyone is okay. One thing for sure these trucks are one of the safest things to have your family in. Makes it worth the mpg.

One of the factors that went in to the choice of buying it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's another reason why I have my wife in her Suburban. She totes around my 3 boys (oldest one being 6) daily. If something happens I'd much rather she be in the Suburban rather than one of them cracker jack crossovers or whatever. I'd be a mess if anything ever happened to one of my kids or my wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52