A distracted driver finally got me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave01

Reaction score
I don't agree with the comment "most people are horrible drivers". That's too easy a statement to make, and I don't believe it's true. I know ability varies from person to person but I'd like to believe that most people are careful drivers.

I use my Bluetooth a lot. I drive a lot, and before having Bluetooth used a headset. I know people will argue, but it's not realistic in 2013 for me to stay off the phone in my car and still be able to function in business. I don't believe I'm at all unsafe while driving and talking.

I was rear-ended on Sunday in the Tahoe. It was a woman of around 30 with a toddler in the back in a car seat, everyone was fine. She said right away that she was looking at a car coming up on her from behind and didn't see me, but from the impact I'd say she had to be going 50 plus, I was going 30-35. The first thing that crossed my mind was she must have been texting, not that I know one way or the other but she had plenty of time to see me and I was driving at steady speed. Anyway, I've got rear fender and liftgate damage but she's got a ton of front end damage.

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Just got back from the adjuster who is located at a Collision Max repair center. Looks like they will need to replace the liftgate and bumper. Liftgate will be a genuine GM part and the bumper an aftermaket. They will be starting to take apart the vehicle today to further assess the damage but are guessing it to be about $2,500 - $3,000.

If it was the Vette I'd probably be a little more **** about who fixes it but this place had good reviews and honestly it makes the process so easy. They even had this free (to me) rental waiting for me:

rental_zpsa0fc0d0a.jpg

:lol:

Dave01

Reaction score
Sounds like the way to go! Mine is similar, I don't need a new liftgate though, just will fix the one I have, it has very little damage, mostly scuffing. I chose the OEM bumper, they gave me the choice, let me know if you had a good reason for the aftermarket one.

I have to say my experience was also very good, Allstate appraiser was sharp and helpful, came up with $1,650 but will make up the difference if it's more, and will collect from the other driver's insurance and reimburse my deductible.

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score
I'm glad that the accident was relatively minor and op's son was left unharmed. My son is 19 months, my whole world as well as my one month old daughter. I am confident in our Tahoe and that's our main reason for getting it. My wife is an inexperienced driver and I honestly don't trust her...

My son's safety is most important and a Tahoe certainly keeps him safe.

What intersection is that?

Happened on 73 South at the intersection with Fellowship Road. Pics were taken at the Bob Evans on the corner. I work right down the street.

I don't agree with the comment "most people are horrible drivers". That's too easy a statement to make, and I don't believe it's true. I know ability varies from person to person but I'd like to believe that most people are careful drivers.

I use my Bluetooth a lot. I drive a lot, and before having Bluetooth used a headset. I know people will argue, but it's not realistic in 2013 for me to stay off the phone in my car and still be able to function in business. I don't believe I'm at all unsafe while driving and talking.

I was rear-ended on Sunday in the Tahoe. It was a woman of around 30 with a toddler in the back in a car seat, everyone was fine. She said right away that she was looking at a car coming up on her from behind and didn't see me, but from the impact I'd say she had to be going 50 plus, I was going 30-35. The first thing that crossed my mind was she must have been texting, not that I know one way or the other but she had plenty of time to see me and I was driving at steady speed. Anyway, I've got rear fender and liftgate damage but she's got a ton of front end damage.

I drive 3 miles to work each way and in that short span I see easily 25% of the people on their phone. Maybe "most" isn't a fair statement but there are certainly plenty of bad drivers out there. Hardly ever see anyone use a turn signal or stop completely at a stop sign anymore. Twice in the last two months I have seen people miss the left hand turn lane at the intersection where this happened and come to a complete stop in the straight lane holding up traffic with a green light because they missed their turn. Thats just straight up dangerous and inconsiderate. Continue straight and turnaround at the next intersection - not hard. The absolute biggest violation I see (2nd to possibly speeding) is left lane hogs. Many people don't understand the law in most states is keep right, pass left. When I visit other offices, a couple of times while in medium to heavy trafffic I took an unofficial poll of people who were not passing anyone in the left lane. An easy 8 out of 10 were on the phone.

I said there maybe some drivers that can talk on the phone and drive but studies I have read would say they are a minority. Bluetooth maybe reduce the frequency that you look away from the road but your are still concentrating on the conversation you are having and not driving. Many companies nowadays, mine included, do not allow phone use while driving. I use to be in external sales so I know how usefeul it is to be able to make phone calls while driving, but there are alot of people out there that don't have the skillset to do that and my family's life is not worth the risk for them to have that convenience.

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rare occasion that I talk on the phone while driving I have to have people repeat what they say because I'll pay more attention to the road than the conversation going on. I rarely answer the phone while driving, though. The only time I answer is if it's from someone that I'm expecting to call me and it's about something that I know is important. If someone texts me I try to keep the looking and/or responding to those to when I'm stopped at stop lights.

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score
The rare occasion that I talk on the phone while driving I have to have people repeat what they say because I'll pay more attention to the road than the conversation going on. I rarely answer the phone while driving, though. The only time I answer is if it's from someone that I'm expecting to call me and it's about something that I know is important. If someone texts me I try to keep the looking and/or responding to those to when I'm stopped at stop lights.

Thats exactly my point. Its not just a "look away from the road" distraction, its a lack of concentration. I don't even answer my phone when I drive. If someone calls twice then I'll pullover and call them back assuming it might be an emergency.:happy160:

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Sounds like the way to go! Mine is similar, I don't need a new liftgate though, just will fix the one I have, it has very little damage, mostly scuffing. I chose the OEM bumper, they gave me the choice, let me know if you had a good reason for the aftermarket one.

I have to say my experience was also very good, Allstate appraiser was sharp and helpful, came up with $1,650 but will make up the difference if it's more, and will collect from the other driver's insurance and reimburse my deductible.

They really did make the process way too easy to refuse especially with an identical rental waiting for me. Geico is probably one of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

It sounds like they go with the cheapest fix unfortunately, though the adjuster told me that often the quality is just as good if not better with the aftermarket stuff (who knows maybe that was a sales pitch). If I have any issue with the fitment, they will replace it.

Sounds like your repair is even easier - good luck with it.

Phil DeVtec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened on 73 South at the intersection with Fellowship Road. Pics were taken at the Bob Evans on the corner. I work right down the street.

Wow...very busy intersection indeed. The problem there is the amount of people not from the area because of 295 and the NJTP on ramps.

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Wow...very busy intersection indeed. The problem there is the amount of people not from the area because of 295 and the NJTP on ramps.

Phil, that is a very good point that I meant to add. For those not familiar with the area, it is a huge hotel overflow location for Philly. 73 intersects with both 295 and the NJTP in about a 75 yard span. Probably 20 hotel chains within a 5 mile span as well. I also think Mt. Laurel needs to better mark the exit lanes for 295 and NJTP on 73. So many people at both junctions realize they are in the wrong lane at the last minute. I see some just drive straight down the emergency lane which really causes a hazard to those trying to merge on 73.

Another tecnology proposed to thwart distracted driving just in the news today:

http://gizmodo.com/could-an-ignition-activated-car-mode-keep-drivers-fro-1447378854/@orlove

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES