ABS Freakout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was driving to pick up some friends on my way to the airstrip to go skydiving and had a little incident with what I'm pretty sure is the ABS.
I had been on the interstate cruising at about 85-90ish and took an exit to meet some buddies at a gas station to carpool another 50 miles. Well I pull into the station and we get loaded up and ready to go in less than 10 minutes. I got to leave and less than 2 miles down the road I had to stop at a red light. The car in front of me stopped very abruptly causing me to slam on my brakes. After slamming on the brakes I feel my brake pedal kind of push back and hear the ABS buzzing from what sounds like the other side of the firewall. THen the pedal went soft. I must say that not a single tire was locked up or else I would have felt it or heard it( I know what breaking the tires loose feels like:)).

So I'm wondering what my issue may be?
To make things clear I had an issue with my front left caliper a few months ago and it seized up and started dragging while I was driving and was even smoking. I replaced the line and bled the caliper and haven't had a problem since. But I will say that the rotor has significantly more wear than the other side. Haven't checked my pads yet. Might try that tomorrow if I can find some time.

Anyone have any ideas and or helpful info and insights?

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the truck pull to the left? That caliper may be going bad and I would replace it. Hopefully, it's not a problem with the abs system.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it's just the caliper. Make you don't have a leak in the system somewhere. Unfortunately, the ABS pump issue is a known problem on our trucks. Mine has been replaced. They may be available to be rebuilt. I went with a new unit (damn expensive).

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how expensive? and to be honest the yukon pulls any direction on any day....some days it feels perfect and some days it feels like idk which way it will go when I hit the brakes.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

but I think its partly that the shop I had do my front end alignment didn't get it straight

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Hopefully it's just the caliper. Make you don't have a leak in the system somewhere. Unfortunately, the ABS pump issue is a known problem on our trucks. Mine has been replaced. They may be available to be rebuilt. I went with a new unit (damn expensive).

Is it really because this is the first time hearing about a abs pump failing on these trucks.I have heard the module failing but thats is a cheap fix if you look on google and search for a repair service.If youre pump is done like dct says then thats 500 just for the part and I have no idea as far as labor goes.

delta579

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like that caliper is bad. Most OEM calipers have a plastic/nylon piston in them that get scarred in the caliper cylinder with use and will not retract back. Most aftermarket calipers have a stainless steel piston, check when you buy. Only buy the steel one. I would change out both calipers, if one is bad, then the other is close to it. Lube pins. This is cheapest thing to try first.

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that caliper is bad. Most OEM calipers have a plastic/nylon piston in them that get scarred in the caliper cylinder with use and will not retract back. Most aftermarket calipers have a stainless steel piston, check when you buy. Only buy the steel one. I would change out both calipers, if one is bad, then the other is close to it. Lube pins. This is cheapest thing to try first.

What brand would you prefer? And about what should I expect it to cost?

delta579

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter which brand you use, they are about the same. Just take it out of the box and check the piston to make sure it's steel.
Cost ? I can't remember, but it's not bad. Check online AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really because this is the first time hearing about a abs pump failing on these trucks.I have heard the module failing but thats is a cheap fix if you look on google and search for a repair service.If youre pump is done like dct says then thats 500 just for the part and I have no idea as far as labor goes.

Check used car websites like Edmunds. Two known issues are brake pump and catalytic converters. Sorry, don't have a link available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRebel