AC only blows cold when moving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my AC suddenly started to blow warmer air when i come to a stop, and then, when i get moving again, itll get colder... do i just need a recharge?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely fan clutch. Does your engine have a whirring noise when it's hot outside? Is the fan hard to turn when it's hot out and engine fully warmed up (engine off of course to check this). If no to both, then you probably need new fan clutch or convert to fans.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue - I think my problem is the actuator that controls the Recirc damper. Do you also notice you can never get air to stop coming through the vents even when the fan is OFF? Also when your A/C is on, and the air is coming out of the dash and you push the ReCirc button, can you hear the door close, and the ac blow stronger?

Mine does not change, I think whats happening is its pulling in the hot air from outside b/c that door never closes. If you open your glovebox.. empty it all out, and hold the tabs you can get it to flop ALL the way open, behind there you can see the door.. when you push the recirc button it should open / close. I see mine does not...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think thats my problem

Schwab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd say check your fan clutch or for a bunch of junk blocking airflow through your condenser. Both easy checks.
For the condenser, all you have to do is pull the bumper filler (the black thing held on by 7 push pins at the top of your radiator) and look at the front and rear of the condenser. If it's all blocked up, run a garden hose over it. Don't take it to the car wash though, because you may make it worse by bending the fins.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon does the same thing....only blows cold when moving....and on a long road trip it stops blowing cold and only blows mildly cool air after about 2 hours of driving. I've already checked my refrigerant level and everything is good.....going to check the coil next to see if its clogged.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I checked my fan last night after driving for about ten minutes....and the fan was easy to turn...does this mean my clutch is bad?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, 10 minutes may not be enough. I don't know what the actual parameters are for activating the fan clutch, but mine doesn't noticeably engage unless I've driven it on the freeway for about 15 minutes, and it's over 100 degrees out. Then when I stop, and go on local roads, I can hear that peculiar whirling noise of the fan/engine when stepping on the gas. Then if I shut it down and try to turn the fan, there is noticeable resistance to turning. I don't really hear the fan clutch engage when it's only around 90 or so. Sorry can't be much more help than that.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to remove my fan clutch and I need a tool to keep the water pump from free spinning.....any ideas?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave belt on.
put a big ass wrench on it, put long ass pipe on wrench. Grab 3 pound hammer, hold tenstion on wrench. slam pipe with hammer..

It will come loose NP... Probly first hit.
Just dont bash anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
res51cue