Air lift bags installed tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quick66ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up a set of Auto Lift bags for the rear of the Hoe. I have the Pedders kit and found that when I had 8 people in the SUV I was just about sitting on the bump stops. Plus my dad wants to use the Hoe to pull his speed boat next summer. I put 35 psi in them to test them out and it raised the rear end about 1.5 inches. I am going to play with air pressure over the next week to find a setting that works for me.

Mike

OP
OP
quick66ss

quick66ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was pretty smooth on the install. I unbolted the sway bar endlinks and the shocks so the springs dropped right out. I also droppped the spare tire. Getting the bags into the Pedders rear spring was a challenge. The air lines are a tight fit at all the connections so my hands are sore from both of those things. Overall it was pretty easy. I am looking forward to see if the ride improves.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
let me know I just picked up some as well. I have the ground force 2/3 kit and when I have a bunch of people in the truck it rubs all the time and also when I put my car trailer on it sags. So hopefully this well keep it level when having a load on it. where did you run the lines to? Any pics of the install?

OP
OP
quick66ss

quick66ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride to work with 9 psi in the bags was an improvement over just the springs. I might put the 3rd row seats back in now. I took them out as you could really notice the tire rub when making left turns. They weigh in at just over 100 LBS (heck thats a tenth in the quarter mile) . Taking them out helped and while doing the bag install I trimmed out the area that was scuffed up.

BlackedoutLT3 - I would have snapped some pics but the batteries were dead in my camera.

I ran the lines over the metal brace the spare tire resides. (found my spare had only 18 psi in it. You might want to check yours as it would suck to get a flat and find your spare was flat as well) I have the air fill valve located just to the side of the trailer light plug.

From the drive to work my impression is the rear feels more stable. I travel on some crappy roads here in Columbus and the rear suspension seemed to jump around alot. It just did not feel solid. That being said with the bags it feels much more firm and less springy. I am going to mess around with the PSI to find the sweet spot.

Last edited:

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bags

we are putting air bags on an excursion this weekend :(

My dad tows with it, and when hooked to the boat, the excursion ends up looking lifted in the front it's so high!!!

My 09 LTZ does it automatically whenever I start it... heck if the rear is higher or lower, soon as I start it, it's level... :)

but it is a PITA when launching a boat... i had to buy a 6" drop hitch for mine.

OP
OP
quick66ss

quick66ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SabrToothSqrl - When mine was stock height I had a 6 inch drop hitch on it as well. It was left over from when I had my GMC Sonoma but on it I used it as a 6 inch rise as it was lowered. Now the Tahoe uses a 3 inch drop hitch for most towing. Who knows what I will need now that I have installed the bags.

I had the auto ride on my Trailblazer SS and really liked it. I can imagine it would have been a headache once it had some high miles on it. I see those Lincoln towne cars rolling around with the front or rear dragging as they get older and become beaters. I will stick with good old coil springs thank you.

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about the Airlift 1000s that fit in the springs? If you are, I like mine for heavy loads (camping), but I went the other way (lift vs drop).

Sounds like the ride quality really suffers when a drop kit is installed. I guess we all knew that, but no one really gives a realistic longterm review.

OP
OP
quick66ss

quick66ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zed 71

Yes I am talking about the Airlift 1000 bags. I was surprised to get such a choppy ride from the Pedders kit as I heard so much hype about it. Then when I loaded up the family I was rubbing the tires on the inner wheel well. I do like the stance and with the addition of the bags I am very happy with the overall ride that I have.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Offtopic but Zed how do you liek your EBC rotors/pads, any neg. issues with them?
And Quick66ss, did the Airlift bags make much of a normal difference w/o carrying heavy loads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen_313