Alternator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also seeing as you are "new" to this kind of thing. be sure as a "first step" you disconnect the battery ground before you do anything.......
then after you are finished, connect the battery ground as a last step

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Finally found a video. It’s a stretch belt and it seems like you need a special GM tool, or what this guy does, zip tie and turn the motor.
With that said, I’m not going to cut the belt and replace the alternator. I’ll just pay the dealer. I don’t need it completely out of commission in case it’s something more severe than just an alternator.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally found a video. It’s a stretch belt and it seems like you need a special GM tool, or what this guy does, zip tie and turn the motor.
With that said, I’m not going to cut the belt and replace the alternator. I’ll just pay the dealer. I don’t need it completely out of commission in case it’s something more severe than just an alternator.
well I stand corrected, first time one of these has came up, but easy enough all you need is to place either a small screw driver or any small wedge on the pulley and turn the balancer just like he did to push the belt off, and to put it back on just use a zip tie that's standard procedure for these new trucks
the ac belt can stay in place
**I wasn't aware the t2's were full stretch belt, ac stretch belt and vacuum pump stretch belt have been a thing for a while

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
well I stand corrected, first time one of these has came up, but easy enough all you need is to place either a small screw driver or any small wedge on the pulley and turn the balancer just like he did to push the belt off, and to put it back on just use a zip tie that's standard procedure for these new trucks
the ac belt can stay in place
Thank you for responding. I'm going back and forth on this. I know I could do it, like you said—buy a 24mm socket, turn the motor, wedge the belt off the bottom or middle pulley (which is rounded), replace the alternator, and get the belt back on following a video guide. It would probably take me about 3 hours.

The pain, I know the dealer will charge around $1,000, with about $350 of that being for parts. Ugh. This Tahoe has been a bit unreliable for me. I have a landscaping crew assembling with 20 large rolls of grass to install today so I think I'll move onto the next Saturday chore.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I'm going back and forth on this. I know I could do it, like you said—buy a 24mm socket, turn the motor, wedge the belt off the bottom or middle pulley (which is rounded), replace the alternator, and get the belt back on following a video guide. It would probably take me about 3 hours.

The pain, I know the dealer will charge around $1,000, with about $350 of that being for parts. Ugh. This Tahoe has been a bit unreliable for me. I have a landscaping crew assembling with 20 large rolls of grass to install today so I think I'll move onto the next Saturday chore.
yep dealer will r*pe you for a simple job with no lube raw dog lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shughes022