Amp Installation Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scarpin16

Reaction score
So, I'm sure this is a retarded question but I can't seem to figure it out nor find an answer for it anywhere. I have an 02 Yukon with the stock radio and it also includes the Cassette player. I am trying to hook up my amplifier to the radio with the blue "turn on" wire but I am not sure which wire to hook it up to? I have been on sites that listed the wiring guide but I have 1) more wires than listed & 2) the colors do not match nor make sense.

I read somewhere some guy said i could hook it up to a pink wire running from the stereo to the Cassette player but I am planning on removing my cassette player and I do not know if that would be an issue?

If anybody has any help on this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'm sure this is a retarded question but I can't seem to figure it out nor find an answer for it anywhere. I have an 02 Yukon with the stock radio and it also includes the Cassette player. I am trying to hook up my amplifier to the radio with the blue "turn on" wire but I am not sure which wire to hook it up to? I have been on sites that listed the wiring guide but I have 1) more wires than listed & 2) the colors do not match nor make sense.

I read somewhere some guy said i could hook it up to a pink wire running from the stereo to the Cassette player but I am planning on removing my cassette player and I do not know if that would be an issue?

If anybody has any help on this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Pink is the ignition wire. I'd wire it to the accessory wire which is orange in your truck. Or you can run a wire from the battery and have a switch inside the cabin you can turn on yourself when you want the amp on or off.

get some T-taps, so you don't cut any wires and you can try each one. if it doesn't work, no biggie cuz you didn't cut anything.

OP
OP
S

Scarpin16

Reaction score
Ok, from my understanding I have to run a red power cable from my battery to the amplifier to supply it with power and then also a "turn on" wire from the stereo to the amplifier to tell the amp to "turn on" whenever I turn on my truck. Is this correct or am I mistaken?

Also, how would I go about hooking up a switch from the battery for me to turn it on in the cabin whenever i want? Is it easier or better? Do you prefer doing that?

Btw, thanks for the T-tap idea!! I'll definitely be going out and getting those!!

gdddup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is battery supply wire, remote amp turn on wire, and ground wire. theres no need for a switch from the battery because the amp wont use power until the remote wire is juiced up.

OP
OP
S

Scarpin16

Reaction score
I have the entire wiring kit and everything already. I have just been confused as to which wire to connect the "turn on" wire to.

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, from my understanding I have to run a red power cable from my battery to the amplifier to supply it with power and then also a "turn on" wire from the stereo to the amplifier to tell the amp to "turn on" whenever I turn on my truck. Is this correct or am I mistaken?

Also, how would I go about hooking up a switch from the battery for me to turn it on in the cabin whenever i want? Is it easier or better? Do you prefer doing that?

Btw, thanks for the T-tap idea!! I'll definitely be going out and getting those!!

Yes you run at least 4 gauge power wire from the battery to the amp, and fuse it. the ground the amp to the frame in the back. a normal aftermarket deck would have a blue wire coming out to tell them amp to turn on when you turn the deck on, but since your using the factory deck you need to run a turn on wire and tap into something that turns on with your truck, like the accessory wire or ignition wire in your dash

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the entire wiring kit and everything already. I have just been confused as to which wire to connect the "turn on" wire to.

I'm not talking about an amp install kit. I'm asking what you're using for a deck. Are you using the factory deck w/ a LOC, or do you have an aftermarket deck, in which you should also have a wire harness for?

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the original post he said hes using the stock deck w/cassette player and adding an amp with that

OP
OP
S

Scarpin16

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all your help!! I got it figured out!! I went ahead and did what NoPh33rRaCiNg said to do and hooked it up to the Orange Wire. Works great!!

Thanks soo much again!!!

:mexsmoke::mexsmoke::mexsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou