another cracked vortec head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eleventhgm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just took heads off my tahoe thinking i had bad head gasket.put air in cyl and when i got to number 4 the rad started to over flow right away.pulled it apart found gasket was in good shape searched here saw a couple of threads about cracked heads and after a closer inspection found hairline crack right through exhaust valveseat.am curious if any body has ever used iron large port gmpp heads pn.
GM Performance 25534446 thanks in advance.dan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM Performance 25534446

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

sorry truck has 140.000 miles and will try to post pics later.also going with said head due to futur mods planned cam headers exhaust comp reflash.and figure nows the time to upgrade heads. thanks again for any input

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
140,000 miles with a cracked head.. seems like GM is making quality shit huh? These vortec heads are good flowing but are just junk, i bought a tahoe limited had cracked heads on it and had 2 spare cracked heads in the back.. doesnt make sense.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
My 350 vortec in the silverado has 200,000 miles and heads still good.... Maybe they have been changed maybe not idk. The Tahoe has a tbi and has over 170,000 with everything good. Only needed an overhaul because of sitting....

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kills these things? Fatigue? Overheating? Anybody have a line on that knowledge?

Mine has only 122k miles on it, and no problems with heads (yet, knock on wood) that I know of. I know my intake coolant gaskets have been replaced (according to service records that came with the car). Dunno if they overheated it or not though.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
usually overheating. but people dont understand how important coolant is and changing it!!! every 50,000 miles or 4 yrs or something like that..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
overheating because of poor cooling system maintenance. my two had very small cracks around the seats. They have since been replace with new vortec heads. 242,000 miles.

OP
OP
eleventhgm

eleventhgm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
done with head swap

swapped my cracked heads out for a set of GMPP vortecs.

Attachments

• fgh.jpg
    fgh.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 13
  • jhb.jpg
    jhb.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 18
  • gf.jpg
    gf.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads