Another oil psi thread... 03 yukon Denali 6.0 230k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df_puffer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 03 Yukon Denali 6.0 with 230k on it. Runs great just I am always leery of the oil pressure. On cold start up I get 25-30 psi and when I rev the engine the psi doesn't move any. once warmed up it has about 30 -35 and the pressure will go up when I rev engine getting about 35-43 depending on the rpms.

As it gets colder out (about 30deg vs. 60deg) at night from a cold start I get about 20-22 psi on start up and hear a little ticking for a minute then goes away. got down to the low 20's few nights ago and ....my problem is that I had NO oil pressure on start up and valves or lifters were tapping like crazy. shut down after 20-30 sec then tried starting again to pay more attention what's going on at 6am and half asleep. upon starting back up it tapped like crazy for 15-20 sec with no pressure...before shutting down I reeved the engine to about 1500rpms and pressure popped up instantly to 25psi and stayed there. the tapping went away and everything was fine since then.

I have started many times after hot and cold engine and hasn't happened again....but colder nights are coming and I am on edge each morning upon startup as it gets colder out. any idea what it might be??? just reading around and I suspect high miles/worn engine, pick up tube o-ring or oil pump/relief valve (sludge). using the same oil and oil filter each 3k oil change.

Thanks, Dwayne

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started my 5.3 up and it's 18 degreen here and my oil pressure was 50 ish. When warm at idle it'd a hair under 40 to 30. Then goes back up over 40 driving. Not sure how much of a difference the engines should he but I have 208k on mine. Hopefully this helps give a general idea

OP
OP
D

df_puffer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I have a couple long trips to make in a couple weeks and this weekend is the only chance to correct my pressure issue or maybe I wont be going. I don't know if I should do the pick up tube oring by dropping the pan or do the oil pump and try to access the pick up tube bolt without dropping the pan.

I did the oil pan gasket about a year ago (PITA) it was leaking pretty bad. Didn't even to think about changing the oring at that time....Bummer.

My gut tells me to change the oil pump and oring along with the water pump while im there route. just hope I can get to that pick up tube bolt without dropping the pan some. The only work I ever done on the front of engine was the water pump about 3 yrs ago. I been seeing a tiny bit of water/coolant on the ground every once in a while. I think the weep hole is starting to leak. hard to see the hole in that truck.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
You have to drop the pan to do the o-ring. I wish there was a better way also. But the o-ring is $4 at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

df_puffer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
was wondering if just dropping the pan enough to get to the pick up tube bolt and torqueing it back up afterwards without tearing apart the cross member and everything below that it takes to remove the pan completely? or am I asking for another leaky pan.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Well anything is possible but I think it would make the job harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaintMiles

Latest posts