Any OBS and NBS owners out there want to comment on reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don't use our Tahoe all that much since we work from home, the primary use being towing. So rather than having all that cash tied up in a truck we really only use for towing, I'm considering backdating to an older model. Either an 00-03 NBS or a 98-00 OBS Tahoe.

Is there anybody that's owned both that can comment on the difference in comfort and reliability of the two?

Around here the OBS trucks regularly show up in Pick-n-Pull salvage yards, whereas the NBS doesn't. So replacing broken miscellaneous bits on an older truck doesn't bother me as I can find them cheaper. As long as it's about the same comfort level and about as reliable I'd be ok trading down.

Thoughts? I know I should probably stick with what I've got, but if I could free up $5k for another toy (boat, another vintage car, etc) it would be worth it.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Oh, one other thought. I'd prefer a 2000 OBS over a 2000 NBS as I know that most manufacturers haven't worked out all the bugs in a first year vehicle. :)

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 02, have had very little stuff go bad on it! Also have a friend that had a '98 suburban that they sank all sorts of money into and it still kept breaking down! They just sold it with a dead trans for $950 last week! Either way, there are gonna be great trucks and bad trucks of both of those styles, so either way it's a crap shoot!
I know of a place in portland/gresham area that has newer trucks to get parts from, can't remember the name off hand but will find it when I get home tonight and pass it on to you! They usually have some '00-'06's and maybe even some newer parts trucks!

cowboyzr2

Reaction score
My father still has his OBS GMT400 Pickup he purchased new in '97. The only thing that has ever been replaced is the alternator, A/C compressor, and of course the intake manifold gasget. Last time I drove it, it had just a little over 292,000 miles. He owned a small construction company before he retired and usually had 2-3 of these trucks at once. None of them saw an easy life.

Even though I love OBS and even own one... I have to say I'm almost partial to NBS. My family have owned several until they hit over 200k, then trade them for another, repeat. My brother still beats the snot out of his '99 RCSB Z71 he bought new. It's pretty much been a farm truck the past couple years, but still drives great. ONLY thing changed is a fuel pump, fan belt a couple years ago, and the oil on a regular basis. He said the last time the odometer came on it had over 340,000 miles!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Driven both ill take my 2dr over one but wouldnt mind an nbs. Besides idiots blowing my motor and buying a bad trans nothing has broken on it. Not even the oem alternator and mines a 94

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it's maintenance.

My first chevy was a 94 1500 std cab long bed...got it at 127k & kept it until 357k...trans went at 290k. Regular maintenance & fluid changes with an average foot.

My next was a obs 2000 2wd 3500 (4l80w w/ 454) which I modded heavily. Had it until ~175k & never had a single issue with it. I beat on it pretty hard too.

Third was a 94 k2500 ex cab. My dad bought it new, I got it with 135k on it. I had it until 379k when the trans went. Went through 1 radiator & two alts over 18 years. Regular maintenance & fluid changes with an average foot.

I now have an 03 Tahoe which had 152k when I got it & has 221k now. No problems at all since I bought it. It was dealer maintained until 152k & maintained by me since.

I bought 2 of the best pre-vortec trucks (both 94's) so all the bugs were taken care of. I bought the last year of OBS (00) so all the bugs were worked out. I bought the 03, which was better electrically & was 4 years into the new gen. On top of that my maintenance has been very good.

I really liked them all BUT if anything I wish I had my 94 k2500 back. It was just a perfect truck to me. As far as what to buy you can't go wrong with OBS but maintenance records are where I make my decisions.

Cameron

devnull

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check it... I've got a 99 Yukon, and if I had one word to describe everything I know about GMT400s versus what you have, it would be: inadequate. The brakes are inadequate - severely lacking in the front and the back. Using a distributor and a central coil pack, is inadequate, and there's no reason for it, even in 1996 let alone 1999. The early poppet valve injection system is inadequate. Suspension is inadequate, and not as comfortable as your '04. The transmissions were inadequate for towing, period. Valve body issues, accumulators, plates, no final gear while towing, all very inadequate. And the power is inadequate too... they could have done a much better job with 5.7 liters than they did. And I fail to see how you're going to "free up" 5k for toys unless you find a 98 or 99 with 110k miles for $2000 cash, and it does not break at all for the first 2 years of operation.

Honestly, I think you'd be kicking yourself for downgrading, both in terms of the sacrifice in quality, and having to learn all the gremlins of a new-to-you truck.

OP
OP
J

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check it... I've got a 99 Yukon, and if I had one word to describe everything I know about GMT400s versus what you have, it would be: inadequate. The brakes are inadequate - severely lacking in the front and the back. Using a distributor and a central coil pack, is inadequate, and there's no reason for it, even in 1996 let alone 1999. The early poppet valve injection system is inadequate. Suspension is inadequate, and not as comfortable as your '04. The transmissions were inadequate for towing, period. Valve body issues, accumulators, plates, no final gear while towing, all very inadequate. And the power is inadequate too... they could have done a much better job with 5.7 liters than they did. And I fail to see how you're going to "free up" 5k for toys unless you find a 98 or 99 with 110k miles for $2000 cash, and it does not break at all for the first 2 years of operation.

Honestly, I think you'd be kicking yourself for downgrading, both in terms of the sacrifice in quality, and having to learn all the gremlins of a new-to-you truck.

Bingo, that's what I was looking for. I had heard about the brakes but forgot. I heard there were suspension changes but not sure what.

Overall we're happy with the Tahoe. Every time I think of changing I have to remind myself the only major issue we've had is a cooling leak, which was a bad gasket on the water pump that had been replaced before us.

Thanks for all the input guys!

coolchuck

maybe Escalade bound?
Reaction score
My 05 Denali has 94K miles with only 1 real issue: the water pump. I love the truck even though it use a ton of gas. Everytime I think about switching vehicles, I start to think what could happen with the new ride At 94k, I know its got a lot of life left.

rob3827

Reaction score
I've owned a '98 Tahoe and currently own a '01 Suburban. The Tahoe had a good ride. The only thing that was replaced other than regular maintenance was the fuel pump. That truck lasted me until 179k and was running strong when I traded it for the Suburban. It had a great ride.....wasn't too hard or too soft. The Suburban on the other hand, replace the fuel pump twice, pass side front axle, both front hubs, water pump, in the spring a/c compressor, and replace the autoride suspension. both generations are great trucks.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I've had an 05 Denali and now the 01 Hoe. Both good trucks and still both running strong. I have a buddy who's on his 2nd OBS Hoe now. The first had an engine issue that was fixable ($400 for a full rebuild) but sold it and bought his current OBS. Like Physh1 said it's all about maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus