Anyone use PXAMG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX LTZHoe 07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty simple; to go through your modes, you hit the FM tab (or any tab besides XM), and then hit XM. Then you scroll through which mode you want using the Tune knob. Say you want to go to Bluetooth mode, you scroll to BT and then hit the right arrow on the nav screen.

You only need to go to the Bluetooth mode page if you want to stream music wirelessly. The Bluetooth device is always on no matter what mode you're in, and will automatically switch to that mode if you get a call on your phone. It works just like stock, I love it.

But, you can't talk on the phone using just the iPod hookup. If you want handsfree talking, you will need the Bluetooth device.

As for iPod, same as above, you just use the Tune knob to select iPod mode and then it controls your iPod/iPhone using the steering wheel buttons and stuff.

Ok. So let me make sure I understand this correctly. In order to play music from iphone, you would always use the cable connection. In addition to that, you can connect the iPhone via Bluetooth and your phone calls would always come through whatever is playing, even if its the iphone (which it should do on the iphone automatically). Is that correct?

You mentioned a microphone - does this come with the ISBT21?

chris12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does this unit also charge the iphone/ipod? Have they fixed the iphone 4 compatability issues?

I was hoping to use the stock onstar mic with this setup, is this possible?

Also, where did you wire the ipod connection, glovebox?

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Two other quick questions. Will I be able to use the dial pad on the nav screen to operate my phone while connected via bluetooth?

Lastly, has anyone used PAC's (Peripheral) Nav unlock unit? http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=875&CategoryID=34 Does lockpick have any advangtages?

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think they have released a new unit that comes ready to work with iPhone 4 and iOS 4 (for 3GS and 3G), but I know for sure they developed a circuit board you are supposed to install to the PXAMG, and then update the software to get it to work. Mine is fried now, because I installed the update before adding the circuit board. Be careful of doing that.

I wired my iPod connection through the space in front of the cupholders in the front row. But you can choose where you want to install it, the cable is long enough for wherever. All of my devices (PXAMG and bluetooth module) are in the glovebox.

You will not be able to use the dial pad on screen, all calls will have to be made through the phone first.

Lockpick is highly praised here, so it may be worth it to look into that.

By the way, if you add an OEM Bluetooth module to your truck, you lose some OnStar functionality. BUT, that only includes the hands-free calling and weather reports. All the emergency services remain active. And if you can get the dealer or OnStar to program the new module to your truck (people have been successful), everything will function normally. I think people have problems getting OnStar or the dealership to program it, though they are perfectly capable of doing so.

So, going with OEM Bluetooth doesn't really hurt anything in my opinion. You only really lose the hands-free calling, but why have it if you want to use Bluetooth? That is why I went with the OEM Bluetooth module. And it allows you to dial with the onscreen keypad if I remember correctly.

chris12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think they have released a new unit that comes ready to work with iPhone 4 and iOS 4 (for 3GS and 3G), but I know for sure they developed a circuit board you are supposed to install to the PXAMG, and then update the software to get it to work. Mine is fried now, because I installed the update before adding the circuit board. Be careful of doing that.

I wired my iPod connection through the space in front of the cupholders in the front row. But you can choose where you want to install it, the cable is long enough for wherever. All of my devices (PXAMG and bluetooth module) are in the glovebox.

You will not be able to use the dial pad on screen, all calls will have to be made through the phone first.

Lockpick is highly praised here, so it may be worth it to look into that.

By the way, if you add an OEM Bluetooth module to your truck, you lose some OnStar functionality. BUT, that only includes the hands-free calling and weather reports. All the emergency services remain active. And if you can get the dealer or OnStar to program the new module to your truck (people have been successful), everything will function normally. I think people have problems getting OnStar or the dealership to program it, though they are perfectly capable of doing so.

So, going with OEM Bluetooth doesn't really hurt anything in my opinion. You only really lose the hands-free calling, but why have it if you want to use Bluetooth? That is why I went with the OEM Bluetooth module. And it allows you to dial with the onscreen keypad if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like you have the OEM VCIM module for factory bluetooth, and bluetooth/ipod integration through the PXAMG. I'm thinking you went this route so you had the advantages of the OEM bluetooth as well as the ability to stream ipod music via bluetooth using the PXAMG. I like this setup but I will have a hard time choosing between HD radio and the secondary bluetooth. I am going to look into PAC's nav unlock module too. I'd like to allow the passenger to view DVD's, change the nav destination, etc. while driving. The price on PAC's nav unlock is $300, which seems high - lock pick is $239.

Was the VCIM easy to install? Do you know of any links or installation write ups?

My truck ('07 escalade ESV) is at the dealer right now and I have asked them to look into installing the OEM bluetooth from the '09's. I realize that they most likely will not do it but I figured I'd give it a shot.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like you have the OEM VCIM module for factory bluetooth, and bluetooth/ipod integration through the PXAMG. I'm thinking you went this route so you had the advantages of the OEM bluetooth as well as the ability to stream ipod music via bluetooth using the PXAMG. I like this setup but I will have a hard time choosing between HD radio and the secondary bluetooth. I am going to look into PAC's nav unlock module too. I'd like to allow the passenger to view DVD's, change the nav destination, etc. while driving. The price on PAC's nav unlock is $300, which seems high - lock pick is $239.

Was the VCIM easy to install? Do you know of any links or installation write ups?

My truck ('07 escalade ESV) is at the dealer right now and I have asked them to look into installing the OEM bluetooth from the '09's. I realize that they most likely will not do it but I figured I'd give it a shot.

The VCIM is easy to install, but my order was canceled, though I am now going to try at the dealer. A 2009 module should work in your 2007 anyways, as long as it is from a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Sierra/Silverado. It is a relatively easy install, apparently its right under the radio and easy to access.

As for PAC's Bluetooth, it is pretty great. I mounted my mic in the overhead console and people could hear me perfectly and I could hear them as well. As long as you have your phone's Bluetooth turned on, it will pick up/send calls through the car's audio system no matter what mode you are in. The PAC Bluetooth module is always on, you never need to mess with it unless you want to stream songs wirelessly from an iPhone.

I found it really convenient, but I still am trying for the OEM Bluetooth since my PXAMG is fried.

wouldrichest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which bluetooth kit did you get? I think I'm going to try the pxamg for my ipod touch, and I'd like to find a bt kit for my Motorola razr if possible. It's for a 2008 LTZ.

If you want to add Bluetooth to the PXAMG, you need to get the part called ISBT21. It will enable Bluetooth. Be sure to get the PGHGM1 harness when you order the PXAMG so you can connect it to your radio.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
And if your iPod touch is running iOS4, you will need to buy the PXAMG-IC circuit board and install a software update to the PXAMG. I tried this though and it screwed mine up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk morgan