Anyone used fiberglass before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting a new project for the inside of my truck. Where my little lid flips up right about the cup holder and holds the cassette player I want to install 2 Aero-Force Gauges in that area.

I was going to cut out a square are in there and then fiberglass everything back in and use a whole-saw for the gauge holes and paint it to match the interior.

So, Has anybody ever done fiberglass work before that can give me a few pointers on how to accomplish this?

Thanks

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
I've done a little fiberglass work, but it was on a fresh build with MDF board and then used the cloth you stretch and then pour the fiberglass resin over it......as far as what you're talking about I haven't.....

OP
OP
BlueTahoe2001

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a little fiberglass work, but it was on a fresh build with MDF board and then used the cloth you stretch and then pour the fiberglass resin over it......as far as what you're talking about I haven't.....

Ecordell, Got some more information and pics? I need to build a sub box as well and was thinking of using Fiber Glass for that.

mikeyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mix it right or u will be sorry scraping the resin out ...marine tex might be easer to use and work with its pritty much the same but a lil thicker so it tacks better and its a 1 to 1 mix

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
i did put a screen in my 03 not hard but ive done a lot of fg work

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

DSCF0397.gif
DSCF0398.gif
DSCF0390.gif

yukonjacks

A Vegitative State
Reaction score
Check the classifieds theres a guy selling them cut out for screens, maybe he can make what you want, in the mean time Ill look to see if I can find the ad

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
Sorry man, I don't have any pics, but basically we built the sub box and then there were exterior trim pieces....we took the matting and stapled it to the mdf sub mounting ring and stretched it up over the exterior trim pieces and then stapled it there. this gave the basic shape that you'll get, then just put the resin on with a paint brush and it hardens. Sand is smooth (but not too much because you'll go through it) and if you need to change things you can do it with fiberglass filler. Once it's all smoothed out you primer and paint it.. you get quality like the screen shown above....

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to paint, the surface needs to be as smooth as possible. Once you paint it, the paint will usually show flaws that you didnt see before. Use a body filler to fill in any pits and/or smooth any ripples or slight waviness. Once you sand it all down with the body filler, you can go over it with a filler primer, sand, then check for any left over pits.
If you're going to build a sub enclosure, keep in mind that fiberglass across a large flat span is a lot weaker than the same surface area that is curved. Make sure you reinforce it accordingly. You can use fiberglass cloth/may across large flat sections and use chopped strands for curves and irregular shapes.
Mixing the resin with the right mekp percentage is important. Too little and you'll be waiting forever for it to cure. Too much, it can cause the mixture to shrink and crack, just like plastic body filler.
Whatever material you choose for your project (t-shirt, fleece, speker grille cloth, etc), make sure it is completely soaked through with the first application of the fiberglass resin. Let it cure, then you can start applying more layers and fiberglass cloth in between layers of resin to strengthen the piece.

OP
OP
BlueTahoe2001

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JK,

Would it be ok if I did a square box, then used a wooden ring to "out-set" the sub? Would this help with the Fiber Glass being stronger? That way the fiber glass is not stretched on long flat surfaces and still retains surface strength?

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're building a simple enclosure, use MDF or birch for the flat spans and then you can use fiberglass to get the contours you want on the baffle. Try to restrict fiberglass usage to contours and irregular shapes. When using MDF for enclosures, you can brush on a thin layer of fiberglass resin on the inside panels to completely seal the enclosure. MDF is still porous and can leak air. A layer of resin will seal it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greene9525