Automatic headlights - Sensor adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J5races

Reaction score
Hello all,

When I go to drive my 2018 Premier Tahoe lately I start the truck up, then remove my Dash protector reflective windshield screen thing. The truck is in headlight night mode because the dash was dark. I understand that. But I can drive away and down the road and because its not super sunny out (say at 4pm) the car doesn't switch back to daylight. its like that sensor that detects daylight is not adjusted well or just failing.

Is there a way to force the Tahoe into daytime mode (like holding down auto for 3 seconds or something on the switch? It just seems like any truck thinks its way darker out sometimes then uit actually is.

Thank you

k_arnold72

Reaction score
The headlights correct, not the day time running led lights?

OP
OP
J5races

J5races

Reaction score
The headlights correct, not the day time running led lights?
I assume the headlights, the whole dash stays in night mode with super dim instrument panel and even my Car play changes to night node.
Is that helpful?

Jon

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume the headlights, the whole dash stays in night mode with super dim instrument panel and even my Car play changes to night node.
Is that helpful?

Jon
what happens if you simply turn it off, open the drivers door, close the drivers door then start it back up? (after you have removed the cover of course)

OP
OP
J5races

J5races

Reaction score
what happens if you simply turn it off, open the drivers door, close the drivers door then start it back up? (after you have removed the cover of course)
I will try that later today, Ill turn off the truck, open the door and close and restart truck. Ill post the result.

Thank you both for your time

OP
OP
J5races

J5races

Reaction score
Stays in night mode and doesn't brighten up. The car thinks its night when its not. A lot of sunlight will switch the truck back to daylight if I go for a drive and get driving the perfect angle where it really shines on the sensor.

Is the sensor adjustable or just bad?

Thank you

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stays in night mode and doesn't brighten up. The car thinks its night when its not. A lot of sunlight will switch the truck back to daylight if I go for a drive and get driving the perfect angle where it really shines on the sensor.

Is the sensor adjustable or just bad?

Thank you
sensor could be funky, not hard to replace you just have to remove the left & right pillar covers and then the front section of the dash top pops up and you can access the sensor, I am pretty sure anyway if not then you have to pull the radio out which is a bit more trim removal but not hard to do. I wouldn't pay the dealer to do it they will r*pe you for labor

k_arnold72

Reaction score
Sounds similar to mine. It's possible that it needs to sense direct sunlight for a set period of time before reverting, not just the first light to hit the sensor. But I've definitely noticed(when driving through a tunnel for example) other vehicles around me revert back to day mode quicker than myself.

my09denali

Reaction score
Have you replaced any lights recently? Started having same issue with my 17 denali after replacing the low beam HID and going to Diode Dynamics LED high beams. Low beams come on way too early. Bigger issue is the high beams will go off for no reason. The "A" in the dash goes out and high beams will be off. Highway driving county roads and its pitch black and the highs turn off. Defeats the purpose of going to those led high beams. I doubt it is a coincidence.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced any lights recently? Started having same issue with my 17 denali after replacing the low beam HID and going to Diode Dynamics LED high beams. Low beams come on way too early. Bigger issue is the high beams will go off for no reason. The "A" in the dash goes out and high beams will be off. Highway driving county roads and its pitch black and the highs turn off. Defeats the purpose of going to those led high beams. I doubt it is a coincidence.
probably voltage related, LED & HID use very different voltages. was this is a kit? or just plug-n-play bulbs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nava95