Average MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdesr32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanna see what you're mpg numbers are. I pretty much only do city driving and am getting under 11mpg on 89oct. This doesn't seem right.

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you live...I have noticed vast differences in my fuel mileage around town. The temperature around me for the last 2-3 weeks has been in the 20's and teens. I've noticed my mileage around town has been like 10-11 to the gallon. Well the temperature raised to the mid 30's on saturday...driving around all day I was back up around 15mpg. So Im going out on a limb and saying the winter weather has A LOT of affect.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting about 11-12 in the city up until I replaced my plugs and wires a few months back. Then it jumped up to 14-16 city. It was such a big difference I was easily getting about 50-75 more miles per tank. But now that its cold, I find my self using my remote start a lot more to let my truck warm up. That has taken me right back down to 11mpg, but keep in mind it sits for a while idling and getting zero mpg while its idlling. I bet if I didnt let it warm up my mpg would still be around 15.
If you arent letting your truck idle and you are only getting 11, I would suggest replacing your spark plugs and wires, especially if you have never done it. Also, check your air filter and your tire pressure. Those are often overlooked and can contribute to mileage loss of your tires are soft and your filter is dirty/clogged.

CWgauge

Reaction score
I'm getting around 15-16 avg now. I used to get around 18 city 21 hwy before rims and tires. (4.8 with 323 gears) I wonder if I put 410's in would it get better mileage??

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scotty,

Do you have the swiss cheese mod done to your airbox? Cuz I noticed this combined with the now cold air has been detrimental to mileage, lol

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I have a straight Ram Air set up on a N-A Motor and am getting about 20.5 Highway and 13-15 city when I drive it nice and 8 if I drive it hard. I get better MPG when its cold outside tho and so should ya'll, remember that fuel contrats in the cold and expands in the heat tho!

OP
OP
bdesr32

bdesr32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah i just got the truck in september, so all of the stuff on it is new: plugs, wires, exhaust, CAI. I had a 1989 K1500(which is a throttle body injected 350ci 4x4) on 33"s on it get 9-12 mpg. The truck is ten years old though with only 39k miles. Any the lady I got it from did only drive it back and forth to work in town and thats it. Im thinking i should get it on the highway(long trip) to clean out the cylinders........

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my DIC says Im getting 14.6 combined. But in reality all I drive is city driving and LOTS of idle time.

Mods: Specter CAI and bullybod pos Tune.

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm getting about 13.6 right now, and that's with 25-minute auto-start warm-ups 'cause it has been sub-zero lately.

6.0 Denali with the swiss-cheese mod. In summer I average around 17 combined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968