Awful MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLEAR

Reaction score
Im only getting 11-12 mpg in my 03 2wd. I added the airaid intake tube and K&n filter. What else can i do to increase?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Seafoam treatment, clean the MAF....those are the places to start. If it would warm up a bit around here I'd do both of those things myself. My mileage has dropped significantly over the winter, but it's hard to tell how much of it has to do with warm-up time and general driving conditions being different when it's cold.

Twinrotor

Reaction score
MSD plug wires, throttle body spacer, and a decent free flowing exhaust. We have done several where I work and most are reporting 19-21 mpg on the hwy and 15-16 in town.

I have the plug wires and TBS for mine, air intake is on order, and the exhaust was supposed to be done today, but we got hella busy.

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
I get 20mpg and I am a dropped Z71 4WD on 22's.

Here's what I have for a setup and what you should look into.

Sea-foam gas tank and Vacuum line every-other oil change
Change PCV every oil change
AC Delco stock wires (Perform just as good as MSD's. You'll get the same Ohm resistance... Trust me, save your money for something else)
Ac Delco Irodium Plugs gapped at .040
CAI (Which you already have)
Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust (Or any other free-flow exhaust)
Hypertech 87 Octane Tune (Black Bear Performance is the best way to go!)
Synthetic blend oil (I use Valvoline Max-life)
And I would look into changing your fuel filter if you have a external one underneath the drivers side along the frame rail.

Twinrotor

Reaction score
I get 20mpg and I am a dropped Z71 4WD on 22's.

AC Delco stock wires (Perform just as good as MSD's. You'll get the same Ohm resistance... Trust me, save your money for something else)
No true what so ever. MSD wires are 40-50 ohms per foot, stockers are well over 1400 per foot if memory serves me right.

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jorden the wife only gets 15ish goin to a from work but she doesnt let it warm up before heading out either...
Having the heaver wheels could also play a roll but i dont know how long you have had them on..

MSD plug wires, throttle body spacer, and a decent free flowing exhaust. We have done several where I work and most are reporting 19-21 mpg on the hwy and 15-16 in town.

I have the plug wires and TBS for mine, air intake is on order, and the exhaust was supposed to be done today, but we got hella busy.

Those 3 things will gain you nothing but an empty wallet...

Change PCV every oil change

Changing the valve cover every oil change could get pretty pricey :)

No true what so ever. MSD wires are 40-50 ohms per foot, stockers are well over 1400 per foot if memory serves me right.

Either way "aftermarket" wires will gain nothing over stock :)

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does it make a difference on a pretty much stock motor (cai, exhaust, tune)? I know they make a huge difference on performance motors

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
Changing the valve cover every oil change could get pretty pricey

Why would you have to change your valve cover to change your PCV Valve?

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Does it make a difference on a pretty much stock motor (cai, exhaust, tune)? I know they make a huge difference on performance motors

The current is controlled by the ICM, so running stock coils etc with MSD wires ain't really going to gain you anything other than a few bills missing from your wallet! :Handshake:

Twinrotor

Reaction score
Makes me want to wait until next weekend to put all of these things on just so I can throw the thing on the dyno, just to prove you wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuchie_goddess