Bad Fuel Pump symptoms??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slicksdude

Reaction score
So for the past 2 days my truck has been acting up..
while driving it seems like its not running on all cylinders. First tought was my spark... either wires, plugs, cap, etc. I can still hear the fuel pump engage when turning the key over before starting. The pump sounds deeper and in a slower tone "different".

Long story short she gave up on me today! she starts hesitates under 1000 rpm 5-8 seconds later she shuts off.. also hear strong backfires while hesitating. Fuel pump gave up on 4 years ago and never did it back fire or run like if it was on 4 cylinders??

HELP!! Fuel pump or spark???

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the fuse for the pump? I know on my 01 Silverado I had it did the same thing. I took (towed) it in expecting to shell out some cash, but low and behold it was just a fuse.

OP
OP
slicksdude

slicksdude

Reaction score
Did you check the fuse for the pump? I know on my 01 Silverado I had it did the same thing. I took (towed) it in expecting to shell out some cash, but low and behold it was just a fuse.

No I have'nt were is it located? Is it a regular fuse?

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Before this.....how long did crank before starting??

Actually it cranks rite up! It starts up as usual. I was thinking maybe an Ignition coil went bad but idk

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

only way to know is to get a fuel pressure gauge on it.

Il Love too do so but dont have one.. The thing that really sucks is I live on a freaken mountain top so its not like I can walk over to the nearest auto parts store and pick one up. Im working off of research and this forums help.
Im checking things one step at a time the old fashion way.

I truly appreciate you guyses help. sucks when you live far away from humanity lolz

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like said, check fuel pressure.

If it won't start, give the underside of the fuel tank a good bang with a tire iron then try it again. That's how I kept mine limping along a couple of weeks before I could replace it.

Dogman_1969

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was in east Texas going to see my oldest son and the yukon started cutting out like it was out of gas. I limped in to Jacksonville TX and some how made it all the way back home. It did die several times but would fire back up and run for 30-45 minutes and die again though.

Wasn't too bad to change out. I did it here with a pair of jack stands and a floor jack. Orielly Auto Parts got me one overnight for a small nominal fee. $390ish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925