Bad heads? White smoke:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

venom207

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, and I'm asking for help already! I just bought an '04 z71 Tahoe with 129,000 on her. Looks great and runs great but...when I start it after it's been sitting awhile it'll blow white smoke out of the exhaust pipe.Not every time ,but 7 out of 10 times.
We checked the overflow tank for gases in the antifreeze, nothing. Also put dye in the antifreeze and checked for it with a UV light in the oil. Nothing. Oil is clean. Checked a couple plugs for an overly clean cylinder and found nothing, though the plugs are new.
These are the 706 heads that I have discovered have problems with cracking under the rockers where the center bolts are.
Short of pulling the heads and having them magnafluxed I don't know what else to do.
Any advice or knowledge would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks ahead of time.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Are you certain it is burning coolant? Are you sure it isn't bad valve stem seals?

OP
OP
V

venom207

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really don't know at all. That's just what "everyone" is telling me. Assuming it's an accumulation of coolant burning off after sitting. The plume of white smoke lasts about 30 seconds then you don't see it again until the next time.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
If the head was bad i would assume it would blow out all the time. Ive seen cars with bad heads or gaskets and they continually blow smoke. Its possible that it is bad but im giving you hope

erikrichard

Reaction score
It's normal to see a bit of white smoke at startup, that's condensation burning off. Is the coolant level dropping? if not don't worry about it.

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Are you certain it is burning coolant? Are you sure it isn't bad valve stem seals?

I have to agree.Valve stem seals would be my first thought.My last toyota had it,was a common characteristic of the motor because everyones smoked at startup.Never did any damage just was annoying.Also it never really burned any oil and only did it as you said 7 out of 10 times or something close to that.My grandfathers 06 jag xjr does it and has been for awhile,grandfather isnt too worried about it as it hasnt done damage.

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How cold is it outside when you start it up and it smokes? Does the exhaust smell sweet, like burned off coolant? Take a video of what you are talking about the next time you start it up so we can see just how much smoke/steam you are talking about!!

OP
OP
V

venom207

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will do that! Thanks for the input. It's def not a normal amount. Does smell kinda sweet, but I don't seem to be losing coolant. And it does it regardless of the temp. Seen it everywhere from 30 degrees to 70. Temps are all over the place in New England this time of year.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have tons of condensation in the muffler!! Try getting under your truck and wiggling the muffler around to see if there's alot of water in there!