Battery not charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abbiegail

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Posted on here before about my battery not charging turned out needed a new alternator. Got new alternator. Got new battery. Vehicles been fine ever since it’s an 03 Tahoe completely stock besides aftermarket radio that was put in months ago. last few weeks went to start it batteries almost dead, not completely drained, but enough to where it won’t start the vehicle. Charged It starts and runs fine. Headed to O’Reillys tested alternator, starter, and battery all checked out fine, cables to alternator battery and connections All look great went ahead and hit everything with the wire brush just to make sure it wasn’t some dirty connections or anything still nothing took the radio out completely and still haven’t put it back but it in won’t stay charged. I figured it was some kind of parasitic drain, but with the aftermarket radio being uninstalled now what else could be draining it or is there something that I’m missing on the alternator that could be wrong with it but also, why would it just be messing up now instead of months ago when it was all put in? Any ideas?

Dod5-3-6L80e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Posted on here before about my battery not charging turned out needed a new alternator. Got new alternator. Got new battery. Vehicles been fine ever since it’s an 03 Tahoe completely stock besides aftermarket radio that was put in months ago. last few weeks went to start it batteries almost dead, not completely drained, but enough to where it won’t start the vehicle. Charged It starts and runs fine. Headed to O’Reillys tested alternator, starter, and battery all checked out fine, cables to alternator battery and connections All look great went ahead and hit everything with the wire brush just to make sure it wasn’t some dirty connections or anything still nothing took the radio out completely and still haven’t put it back but it in won’t stay charged. I figured it was some kind of parasitic drain, but with the aftermarket radio being uninstalled now what else could be draining it or is there something that I’m missing on the alternator that could be wrong with it but also, why would it just be messing up now instead of months ago when it was all put in? Any ideas?
If my brothers ignition key isnt in the right spot when you pull out the key it drains the battery. He has an older Suburban.

dwinters14

Reaction score
Definitely parasitic draw or short which could be any circuit. I tried to attach two videos but there's a great one by HumbleMechanic and Junk DIY Guy.

Titles are:

The BEST Way TO Perform a Parasitic Draw Test​

and

How to find a short in a modern car fast and easy (The correct way)​