Battery or alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan2893

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my 99 tahoe has a problem. It wouldn't turn over, so i jump started it. Ran it for a couple of hours, turned it off, and it wouldn't turn over again. A friend told me that since the dash indicator was showing normal when it was running it must be the battery.

I'm not the most mechanical guy out there, so any opinions would be appreciated =)

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a battery. It'll run as long as you want when its started because the alternator is (or should be) generating enough power to run everything. So if it starts when jumped, runs fine for an extended period of time, and then won't turn over until jumped again after its shut down; you've most likely got a dead battery my friend.

jfruauff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Auto parts store can test it both. Obviously battery is easier to test. Sounds like battery but only a mulitmeter can test for sure.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like batt. mine would do that last year. barely cranked and would start barely. if i left it off for like 10 minutes it wouldnt start haha it sat all summer before i got my license so it killd the battery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou