Bdt115's Tahoe Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm :hmmm2: pretty straight forward swap?

Ehhhh kinda. In short you need.

- 6.0 flex plate, spacer, bolts
- ECU segment swap to know how to use the 4l80e. HPtuners, Nelson etc can do this.
- A bit of harness modding to deal with the extra speed sensor

The 4l80e is a bit longer so moves things about. So......

- HD front drive shaft if 4x4, its longer
- Shortened rear drive shaft
- Modded trans cross member
- HD trans fluid dipstick and tube
- Modded coolant lines.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things but its not killer. Plenty of threads out there for this.

$1500 if you play you cards right. You end up with a killer trans though. When I'm done I'll then move on to the 14bolt rear end.

THEN TURBO TIME!!!! :D

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehhhh kinda. In short you need.

- 6.0 flex plate, spacer, bolts
- ECU segment swap to know how to use the 4l80e. HPtuners, Nelson etc can do this.
- A bit of harness modding to deal with the extra speed sensor

The 4l80e is a bit longer so moves things about. So......

- HD front drive shaft if 4x4, its longer
- Shortened rear drive shaft
- Modded trans cross member
- HD trans fluid dipstick and tube
- Modded coolant lines.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things but its not killer. Plenty of threads out there for this.

$1500 if you play you cards right. You end up with a killer trans though. When I'm done I'll then move on to the 14bolt rear end.

THEN TURBO TIME!!!! :D

Maybe I'll just do a built trans swap and call it a day. Would definitely be nice to not have to worry about it. But the $1500ish price tag doesn't sound too bad to me. Definitely considering this now. Thanks for the input :Handshake:

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got some powder coating equipment and all supporting tools needed to powder coat in my garage. So I tried my hand at it tonight with some D-rings I'm considering putting on the tahoe. Did one so far and here's how it turned out. I think it looks great.
imagejpg1.jpg

And here it is in my hand as a reference to size

imagejpg2.jpg

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Impressive! Looks professional.

Thanks! Looking forward to powder coating more when I pick up the new Tahoe :gr_grin:

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

35s on order! That's about it for parts and such for a month or two. Now time to wait...

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well about to board a plane to fly across the country to finally pickup my new tahoe! So excited. Owned for about 2 months now and not seen or driven it, it's killing me!!!! But finally in the morning when I get off the plane I will get my new tahoe! Also, these showed up today at my grandparents house! Thank god for they shipped in time so I can get them put on for the trip back!
image-1.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, quick update here. Made it across country safe and sound a few days ago. Had the new tires put on in NC before I left and today before I went back to work I had the new wheels put on. Crappy cell phone pic and a short update for now. Have a few pictures from the trip and some other upgrades I did already to come. Trucks dirty but it's something to look at until I have more time!
10514488_10200334143713314_5666902815794165415_n.jpg

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, here are some pictures from the trip. Wish I wasn't on a time restriction or would have made more stops. All in all a good trip. Stopped at a lot of cool places, not all of them, but got in a good amount.

New tires going on
image25.jpg
New tires on, getting ready to drive to off for the first time.
image24.jpg
And of course had to grill out a little with some Carolina Packers hot dogs
image23.jpg
And some beer pong with old friends
image22.jpg
Pretty much just me and the little guy up rockin out most of the trip..the other two couldn't hang
image21.jpg
image20.jpg
image19.jpg
Second night of the trip and the snow and ice begins
image18.jpg
More snow at one of the many stops
image17.jpg
Third night got down to about -20 at some point. Had frost on the windows and walls of the hotel room
image16.jpg
image14.jpg
image13.jpg
Found this thing....I want
image12.jpg
worlds largest buffalo
image11.jpg
image10.jpg
210 to a tank allllllll the way across country
image9.jpg
Worlds largest cow
image8.jpg
image7.jpg
Driving through some pretty thick stuff when all of a sudden. Another Tahoe!
image6.jpg
Day 4....pretty good snowfall going on. Highways were pretty sloppy the next morning for a while.
image5.jpg
Finally some decent roads
image4.jpg
And last night in a hotel, pushed throw until we hit Spokane, WA.
image3.jpg
Some random scenery
image2.jpg
And we're home...kind of. Had to stop at one of our houses to renovate a little before heading home.
image1.jpg
And that is all for the trip...enjoy :)

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so while I had my Tahoe a little apart today in the garage while I was swapping tires onto the dodge (build thread in the other vehicles section) I noticed that at some point in time some genius stacked leveling kits up front and of course the already known no lift out back. Scored some spacers for the rear from a buddy for free and tomorrow one of the leveling kits is coming off. Time to get this Tahoe looking better than ever. As some know, I took off my 35s and put them on my dodge and the Tahoe now has 33s. Well, it doesn't look the best right now, hence why i'm taking the lift off tomorrow morning before the super bowl. Don't really want to drive it like it is, looks too goofy. Pics tomorrow.

OP
OP
bdt115

bdt115

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so changed thing up a bit here and been working on my toyota build, among other things. Ordered a lift for the rear of the tahoe, some new 2 inch spacers all around, a new k&n CAI system and then some parts for the toyota. I'm wanting to start swapping the interior to all black...anyone Parting out? :)

Also, tow mirrors.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian