Belt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblanchfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe went in for a major service today and on the bill I was charged for an 'A/C Belt' which is fine.

I should have asked the mechanic before leaving but he was busy working on another car when I collected mine. Is the AC belt another name for the serpentine belt or is it a different belt entirely?

I tried a google image search and got the same images for both the serpentine and the ac belt.

Could someone please advise?

Thanks

godoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same belt
Serpentine just sounds more confusing lol but its the right word for it

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The a/c belt is just what you think. The 5.3 has a serpentine belt and a 2nd belt that just runs the a/c. I noticed this when I recently bought mine and also thought it was weird since I am used to there just being 1 belt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dblanchfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 4.8 and as far as I can tell, only one belt. I went outside and looked at the serpentine belt and it looks new so I guess that is the one they replaced.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was assuming you had the 5.3 like me which does have 2 belts. Can't speak for the 4.8.

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you have just one belt on that motor. If you see a pulley with nothing around it, however...:cool: