Benefits of the diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vadorsnake04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If this holds true after 275k miles, I'll be GLAD to admit that things have changed for the better,
and thank y'all for the good news.
I am confident most of them would make that many miles. Although they aren’t designed to go that many miles without a rebuild in there.

But your comment is a moot point. If a person is only doing short drives, as mentioned. Hitting 275k miles would take something like 25 years to get to and less then 1% of owners keep a vehicle that long.

DeltaKilo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another thing to add to the "pro" column for the diesel is that GM doubles the powertrain warranty on it.

The biggest "con" is having to deal with DEF. The main issue with DEF seems to be using a lot when towing, but I am at 5K miles in our Yukon and DEF was at 50% with no towing. 2.5 gal every 5K miles doesn't seem too bad. Seems to be a good idea to fill it up at 50% since the range calculation used for it can think it's low when it really isn't yet. Another con would be the diesel has a fuel filter that needs to be changed (recommended at 20K miles, but best to do it every 10K). Dealer quoted me $260 to change it, but i will do it myself since the part is $30 and easily accessible.

When we were test driving yukons and XL's you really couldn't tell a difference in the 5.3 vs diesel unless you know what to look/listen for. I know some will shy away from them since they expect them to sound like a big work truck, but they really don't.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see several people on here posting that if given their choice, they would take the diesel engine in the Yukon. GM Authority also says that the Tahoes and Suburbans with the diesel engine fly off dealer lots. As someone who has only driven gas engine vehicles, what is the pull to the diesel? Is the gas mileage that much better? Please enlighten me.
I wouldn't take a diesel vehicle if it was given to me for FREE. I'm much prefer gasoline.

The_White_Car

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Repair costs are higher in the diesel but honestly for the length of time the original owners keep these trucks it shouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm actually pretty staunchly against diesels in 2500/3500 sized trucks because of the added cost/complexity vs something like Ford's gas 7.3, but I will concede that they make a lot of sense in these trucks. I still don't think I'd buy one simply because by the time they drop down to a price I'm willing to pay on the used market they'll be needing some expensive work.

Also, what are the actual out the door prices on the 5.3 vs the 3.0? I think for $1,000 more the diesel makes sense but if I could get a gas one for $5000 less or something I'd swing back that direction.

Padraig

Reaction score
Hauled my boat to the Buffalo NY area last Friday. About 90 miles, some on country two lane with hills, some on a four lane and some in city. The boat is approximately 6,000 #. With my Duramax Suburban I got 18.1 mpg. Moat of the time I was running a good 5 to 8 mph over the limit. With my old Yukon XL gasser (5.3) I usually didn't get that without the boat! Plus it is just a sweet engine. As far as I am concerned, the diesel option is well worth the extra grand!

Padraig

EGTroup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One big reason NOT to buy a turbodiesel, is too many short trips and not enough long ones.
Gasoline engines tolerate operating UNDER their intended operating temp window better than turbodiesels.
Have a 2023 Yukon Denali Duramax. 27k miles. Great city and road SUV. The new Duramax is an inline six. As a result the turbo, SCR and EGR are able to be up close, high on the rear side of the engine. Recycled exhaust gases are captured after the SCR filtering greatly reducing problems with soot buildup in the intake manifold common with other diesels on short trips where system does not hot enough.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to add to the "pro" column for the diesel is that GM doubles the powertrain warranty on it.

The biggest "con" is having to deal with DEF. The main issue with DEF seems to be using a lot when towing, but I am at 5K miles in our Yukon and DEF was at 50% with no towing. 2.5 gal every 5K miles doesn't seem too bad. Seems to be a good idea to fill it up at 50% since the range calculation used for it can think it's low when it really isn't yet. Another con would be the diesel has a fuel filter that needs to be changed (recommended at 20K miles, but best to do it every 10K). Dealer quoted me $260 to change it, but i will do it myself since the part is $30 and easily accessible.

When we were test driving yukons and XL's you really couldn't tell a difference in the 5.3 vs diesel unless you know what to look/listen for. I know some will shy away from them since they expect them to sound like a big work truck, but they really don't.
You really think that DEF is THAT big a deal? I may be have dumped three or four jugs in, in three years. Granted, I don’t tow with it, but it really is a non-issue.
Also, I have backed way off on changing the fuel filter more often. I changed my first one at 10 K and then another one at about 25K and I can tell you they’re pretty well spotless. I’m going to let the next one go at least 25K.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something that needs to be taken into consideration around here is that the fuel is much more expensive than gasoline so listed mileage numbers need to be adjusted accordingly.

Also there is no point in the expectation of long life because the bodies and frames will be shot from winter deicing chemicals before those expectations come.

So perhaps the value of diesels is regional.

vadorsnake04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something that needs to be taken into consideration around here is that the fuel is much more expensive than gasoline so listed mileage numbers need to be adjusted accordingly.

Also there is no point in the expectation of long life because the bodies and frames will be shot from winter deicing chemicals before those expectations come.

So perhaps the value of diesels is regional.
That is a variable point as well.

Diesel being more expensive than gasoline, this is an ever changing value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts