Best Motor Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pandabird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here I was thinking oh hell yeah tell me what exact treat my 5.3 flexfuel will want to live a little longer.
Couple minutes in and I'm almost none the wiser. Fully synthetic seems to be the way to go?
Back to deciphering label code numbers I guess.

Currently looking at something called "comma syner-x 5W 30 Dexos1" that was recommended to me having never heard of the brand before. Another option would be "Castrol Edge FST-TI 0W-30 C3", well that brand I recognize at least. Anyways cold winters over here so I understand something that's best in Florida isn't what's best over here.

Edit; Having watched a bit further, I understand the difference now that it's a balance between performance, lubrication and longevity. Anti corrosion stuff wears off and burns causing clogs and whatnot, ph changes keep things more clean but corrode, lube tries to keep up, like some epic rock paper scissors game. Good watch really!
There will never be a cure all snake oil that will work everywhere in any situation, it all boils down to a lot of factors and the more sophisticated of a mix it'll underperform in areas it wasn't supposed to perform in. Big brands got it narrowed down, general brands keep it simple. There isn't a definite answer and the chemical composition is reliant on chemical compound quality which is always not the case. Got a bunch of old fancy tractor oil jugs with names and numbers I've never heard of, and google searches turn up diddly all, and the inherited 60's tractor seems to run fine on general purpose tractor oil for 4 years and still going. Is this the route I should take with my car as well? Probably not but perhaps some insight.

Question remains. prioritizing longevity, not going to run a lot. Yeah I just jumped into the rabbit hole didn't I.

Last edited:

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, 'Mechanic In A Can' never comes in a big enough can.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925