best size rim/tire combo for performance truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Priv41510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im building 2 Tahoes, both 97 2door 2wd. one is painted with sound system and 24's and is getting a static drop soon but my question is on my other tahoe im building....

This second Tahoe is in the process of getting all new suspension, a LQ9 swap etc... this is my first performance truck and wanted to know what size rims and tires I should get. I know the old muscle cars run 15x8 rallys up front and 15x10 in the rear with beefy tires but i figure the big trucks might have different requirements. Since all my cars/trucks in the past have been all for looks I know about the Big Rim/rubber band tire world but have no clue whats best for acceleration, handling, in the sport truck world.

if im interested in performance rims/tires not "looks" then what size do you guys recommend? I have googled and searched forums but cant find anything for a tahoe and all the 2doors are either lifted offroad style or dropped with big rims so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15" wheels on a performance truck? I'd run a bigger wheel with bigger brakes. Width wise though a 305 is a good idea

OP
OP
P

Priv41510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
15" wheels on a performance truck? I'd run a bigger wheel with bigger brakes. Width wise though a 305 is a good idea

I agree bigger brakes is a must, I already have them for this truck but I need to upgrade my other Tahoes brakes too. I only drive that one in the city but heavy ass 24's with stock brakes in no bueno lol

Thanks for the 305 tip, whats the minimum sidewall height you think like a 45? I like the low profile tire look but I figure I need some meat on there for grip right?

OP
OP
P

Priv41510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd recommend roughly 17x9-17x11 or 18x9-18x11.
Check this out. This will give you an idea of what to look for for both wheels and tires. I remember when this came out, in fact, I think I still have this magazine, hah.
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/gmtoys/toys1.html

Lets see your Hoes :)

Thanks for the Link I'm going to read it right now!

Heres my painted truck, the other one is in my cousins garage waiting for an LQ9. Hopefully I find one before summer ends lol

Newb question here but how do you guys have pictures under your profile name, and how do put you big pics like BowtieFreak's red hoe at the bottom of his post? mine came up as a thumb nail.

Attachments

• photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 24

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. Its an older feature but you'll get the idea.

Nice lookin Hoe. What suspension are you using?
Thanks

Click on "User CP" and look to the left under "edit avator" , that will get to a browser and you can down load or copy and paste an image.
I'm not sure about your sig pic, I have wondered about that for a while, never got around to figuring it out, hah.

OP
OP
P

Priv41510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Coolside II truck on page 3 looks nice sitting on those 18x10's!

When I first got the truck many years ago it had heated front coils and bottomed out all the time. I took it to a mechanic and he told me the coils were heated so he can put new springs in. Honestly I don't think he put OEM height springs because everyone says the front does not look stock height. The back has shackles by the way.

Fast forward to now and I just got the 24's and I already purchased 2 belltech street performance front shocks and an OEM front coil set direct from my local chevy dealer. Im buying DJM control arms but haven't decided if I'm going with the 2" or 3". I don't like the tires on there right now, 255/30/24 is way too small so since I'm planning on getting either 295/35 or 285/40 then it looks like a 2" drop is my only option. once I figure out the front then I'm going to re-do the back with a flip kit and some helper bags.

I love the way it looks with 24's but I think I'm going to sell them or trade for some 22's. It seems like I would have a lot more tire and lowering options that way.

Is your truck lowered? if you don't mind me asking whats the drop and configuration?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice one, I'm fond of the coolside 1 1500. That last picture just looks cool, hah.

I wouldve pulled those heated coils out the first week.
Those shocks are ok, I had those when I first did my drop, wasnt thrilled with them. Swapped them for my Bilsteins. They will be changed eventually to, to what, who knows.
Have you thought about just getting spindles instead of control arms? I agree about the wheels/tires. Not a big fan of huge wheels and teeny tires.
Its true, with such a big wheels tire combo, it plays with what you can do with your drop. Most likely you will have to modify wheel wells, fenders, inner fenders and some stuff on the firewall and in the back mini tub.

My truck is lowered, nothing big. I have Hotchkis coils up front with a pretty thick isolator. Out back I have a flip kit with 2" lift hanger and helper bags. I'm getting ready to put my spindles on. I like the look of it as it sits with 80+lbs in the bags but, it drives like poop. It drives a lot better without air in them. Putting the spindles on will level the front with the back without air.

What flip kit are you looking at?

Aired up with about 80lbs
DSC02609.jpg

Aired out
DSC02622.gif

Helper bags and notch
DSC02155.jpg

OP
OP
P

Priv41510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was going to go with calmax supershox but heard that belltech was better. If I dont like the ride I think I might try blistein or I hear doetsh shocks are good i just cant find who sells them.

About the spindle/control arm... I been researching Truckin' magazine and online , and it seems that the control arm option is the best to keep alignment and overall ride quality (even the DJM website says first choice is arms, then second best is spindles). Also I cant do spindles because since they push the wheel out a little then I might have a problem with my rims and fenders. The rims I have are 20mm offset so I'm cutting it close as it is.

When we took the motor out of my other Hoe, I put the DJM lower arms, stock springs, belltech shocks and belltech sway bars but I did all that with the motor out so I havent tested the ride quality yet. I probably should of waited and got the LQ9 in first, then figured out the suspension but I'm impatient lol

Im thinking of going with a DJM flip kit and notch on both Hoes for the rear. When you say "mini tub" what's that?

I wish I could make my orange Hoe sit like yours I think thats a great height but I think with 24's I can't pull that off lol. Is it a 2" or 3" drop in the front?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard great things about DT shocks, another option is Summit shocks, which are a rabdged DT shock for quite a bit less.

I have read the complete opposite. Spindles leave everything in the factory location accept the location of the spindle shaft itself.

As for spindles, you can get another brand besides BellTech, I believe McGaughys spindles do not change track width like BTs. But, your wheel/tire combo may have to be changed.

Mini tub is removing factory wheel tubs and installing ones that will accept larger wheels/tires. Basically installing bigger inner fenders to clear bigger wheels/tires.

Honestly, I'm not sure what my drop is. I have to look back and see what it was sitting at when I first bought it. It might be 2".

Oh yeah, I'm jealous of your build, LQ9 drooooool. I have an aluminum 5.3 sittin on the project block for a future vehicle. Hah, I wouldve been imaptient to, especially involving an LS swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew1987gn