Better Handling without drop (or minimal drop)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomemphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not looking to slam the Tahoe or anything, I'd just like to improve its handling around turns. I am aware its no mid-engined sports car, but I'd like to take a step that direction, even if its only a small one. I've not lowered a vehicle before, was hoping somebody could go through a few basics/pointers in getting 'more' out of the Tahoe. I did a search but didn't find a 'basics' nor where someone else had gone about accomplishing a similar goal.

My truck is an '01 5.3 LS 2WD Tahoe. I'd prefer not to bring it lower by more than 2-3", and would ideally like a minimal drop - something like 1-2" I suppose, and whatever improvements that could be done...

Cheers.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best ways is to lower the center of gravity, especially on higher vehicles like ours. Even just a slight drop like an inch or so in the front and maybe a couple in the rear will help. Another thing that will help are larger sway bars and replacing the squishy stock endlink bushings with firmer polyurethane parts.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look into some new swaybars from either Hotchkis or Hellwig. I have done a few '07+ tahoes with the Hotchkis kit and the difference is night and day, and no loss in height either.

OP
OP
A

atomemphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will definitely look into the swaybars.

Since there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a 1-2 drop, If I was looking into only a 2-3 drop, what all is required (for it to be done properly, not omitting things)?

photoryan

Reaction score
Definitely not my area of expertise, but wouldn't increasing the wheel size and giving the tires a lower profile add a bit of additional handling?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spindles up front and springs in rear.. keeps as close to oem ride as possible..
If air ride,, then new end links for the sensors.

UKNOWME8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will definitely look into the swaybars.

Since there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a 1-2 drop, If I was looking into only a 2-3 drop, what all is required (for it to be done properly, not omitting things)?

ground force makes a 1.5 / 2.5 kit that i just ordered for my 2010 Tahoe kit #9991 i can let you know once i get it. it is springs in the front and springs and shocks in the rear with a "sway bar spacers" (what ever that is). i am excited to get it but haven't heard alot about it other than from the guy at 4 wheel parts but i got it from amazon for $445 last one at that price directly from amazon as the seller.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

oops sorry i thought you had a nnbs

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

atomemphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ground force makes a 1.5 / 2.5 kit that i just ordered for my 2010 Tahoe kit #9991 i can let you know once i get it. it is springs in the front and springs and shocks in the rear with a "sway bar spacers" (what ever that is). i am excited to get it but haven't heard alot about it other than from the guy at 4 wheel parts but i got it from amazon for $445 last one at that price directly from amazon as the seller.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

oops sorry i thought you had a nnbs

that kit sounds pretty appealing though, perhaps I should look for a similar one for the NBS

UKNOWME8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you go to there website that have a thing that will tell you all the kits they make for your truck then take the part number and call your local seller and Google it you should find a decent price for it

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

also take a tape measure out to your truck and measure at the center of your wheel and see how high your wheel well is and that will help you decide how much of a drop you are willing to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbow555