Blackbear tune... I'd like to hear from personal experience to set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time that you perform the tune installation, it may take you 1/2 to 1 hour, just going slow to make sure that you do it correctly. From the second time forward (if needed for additional mods, tire size changes, etc.) it should not take you any more than 15 minutes to complete. You truck won't be 'down'.
Flashing the ECM never took more than a couple minutes for any of mine.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have looked into them several times on their website over the past few years. For some reason my year Tahoe they can’t supply a PCM for mine.

They also have specific wording about high mileage vehicles and mine is asz whooped 360k
We can tune your 2007 Tahoe, but you are correct that we can no longer supply the ECMs for the 2007-2013 4-speeds. GM restricted access to their software so we can no longer program the ECMs with the appropriate software and VIN. It's really unfortunate. We need the ECM and TCM from the vehicle for our Traditional or Scan Cable options and can then provide tuning. With the AutoCal option, we can handle all tuning via email.

We can tune for high-mileage vehicles as well, but we do recommend one of our data log options for them. That allows the tuner to analyze data from the vehicle and ensure there are no underlying issues that need to be addressed before tuning. 360K thousand is impressive! I'm a third of the way there with my 2008 TBSS.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flashing the ECM never took more than a couple minutes for any of mine.
Well there is the setup and put away time for the AutoCal and files transfer, and that rounds out the 15 minutes of total time that I alluded to.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can tune your 2007 Tahoe, but you are correct that we can no longer supply the ECMs for the 2007-2013 4-speeds. GM restricted access to their software so we can no longer program the ECMs with the appropriate software and VIN. It's really unfortunate. We need the ECM and TCM from the vehicle for our Traditional or Scan Cable options and can then provide tuning. With the AutoCal option, we can handle all tuning via email.

We can tune for high-mileage vehicles as well, but we do recommend one of our data log options for them. That allows the tuner to analyze data from the vehicle and ensure there are no underlying issues that need to be addressed before tuning. 360K thousand is impressive! I'm a third of the way there with my 2008 TBSS.

I am considering a Blackbear tune ( I started a thread about a week ago, for opinions on this forum) My '05 Yukon XL SLT is in exceptional condition, with 175,000. I just did shocks & sway bars all around. I am just learning the initial Blackbear setup.... what option I need ( I don't race the thing)...... I just like the idea of a better 'tune', to improve the lack-luster setup GM configured. ( weighing the 2 ways to do it from Blackbear )

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two data logging tunes are great options as they allow our tuner to analyze data from the vehicle. If you are planning future modifications, the AutoCal is a good option as it allows us to email you updates and the hardware is yours to keep. If you aren't planning future modifications and are not interested in keeping the hardware, the Scan Cable is the better option. Hope that helps!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am considering a Blackbear tune ( I started a thread about a week ago, for opinions on this forum) My '05 Yukon XL SLT is in exceptional condition, with 175,000. I just did shocks & sway bars all around. I am just learning the initial Blackbear setup.... what option I need ( I don't race the thing)...... I just like the idea of a better 'tune', to improve the lack-luster setup GM configured. ( weighing the 2 ways to do it from Blackbear )
I guarantee you that you will find that the BlackBear tune is fully worth the cost. I'm so sure of it that I will personally refund 1/2 of your purchase price, if you are not fully satisfied (I'm serious!). I have no relationship with BlackBear Performance, other than being a fully satisfied customer. I also strongly recommend that you take the AutoCal option, as there is a distinct possibility that you will perform some mod in the future that will require (or desire) a tune modification. Even something as simple as changing tire specs where you have a different diameter tire, you can use the AutoCal option to obtain a tune modification that will re-adjust the speedometer/odometer to the correct spec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GourmetRealtor