Blown Engine on My 98 hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccvikes11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i Broke the camshaft on my 1998 tahoe, i need to replace the engine because noo one will touch it. what kind of engineshould i be looking for and what price range would i be looking at to get a resonably powerful engine for my offroad hoe.
Thanks for all replys.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your budget?

OP
OP
ccvikes11

ccvikes11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
not too much im a student so i could do somthing for about 1500-2500. im looking for a more used engine not a crate engine.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I'd just locate another 98ish Hoe or Yukon that has been wrecked or something and swap out that motor but get one that you can hear run first so that you can verify it being good. These are all over Craigslist and would be your best bet on the cheap side of thing. You should be able to get a motor like this for around $500 to $800 depending on mileage.

OP
OP
ccvikes11

ccvikes11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help man ,ill look into craigslist. also
What would I need trip install it myself

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you fairly mechanically inclined and have a good set of tools? If not, I would suggest paying the professionals to do it.

Otherwise, the best advice I can give you is to label everything as you disconnect it so that you know exactly how it goes back when reconnecting it. It also helps to take a lot of details pictures so that if you come across something during the install part that you don't remember how it goes back you can refer to the pics as a reference. You'll also need an engine hoist and stand, as well. I would try and find these on Craigslist as well and then sell them off again when you're done unless you think you may be doing this again in the future. With the hoist a load balancer will be necessary (assuming you leave the front clip on the Hoe) when pulling the old motor out and putting the new motor in.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so definitely post up as many detailed questions as you can. :High 5:

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Also...I'm sure you know this but you can also get an engine out of a silverado and sierra as well. I believe the compatible years for this are 96-98 if you're wanting to do a direct drop in replacement.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
check with NAPA, etc...find a newly rebuilt Vortec 350...Ive installed a new TBI 350 in company truck, came with warranty...

OP
OP
ccvikes11

ccvikes11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How much would a new engine from napa cost though, or how much did the 350 run you?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one we did was a TBI 350, was like $1200...shop around, Vortec 350's rebuilt are pretty inexpensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968