Bluefusion vs VCIM Swap.. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbowl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post but I've been around reading for months now.

I drive an 07 LTZ tahoe w/ NAV.

I would like to add some Bluetooth to the truck.

I'm confused as to the pros/cons of bluefusion and VCIM. So a little help would be greatly appreciated.

I know bluefusion will cost less and require me to run a mic wire. What about functionality? Will it show on my screen? will it allow me to do some voice calling? How is quality?

as far as VCIM swap - little more money than the bluefusion $100 vs $250. Do I get nav integration w/ the swap?

Steering wheel controls with either?

I guess I've confused myself I've read so much. Any help is appreciated!

As a note I'm picking up a GMX550 if that makes any difference in which I should get.

08sierradenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I have heard, the VCIM swap will not allow music to be played from your phone to your stereo. With the Bluefusion, I hear that the GMX550 is not compatible with it. I have heard mostly bad reviews with both working together. I did hear one person on this site had bluefusion/gmx550 combination working really good. Unsure who it was. Maybe chevyfreak?

Fitz08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do the vcim swap myself. With the vcim swap it will work with your steering wheel audio controls, when you get a call it will mute the stereo and I believe turn down or maybe shutoff the blower so you can hear. And from the reviews, works awesome as far as clarity. I've heard mixed reviews about retaining the onstar, but have heard alot more success latley not sure if its due to the newer vcim's or better onstar reps that actually care and know what there doing. I'm actually in the middle of trying to order a brand new vcim part# 20829984, we'll see if it acually goes through or gets cancelled due to the gm god's.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

I'm also going to install either a lockpick or Pac dvd-nav unlock. So I want no problems with those.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post but I've been around reading for months now.

I drive an 07 LTZ tahoe w/ NAV.

I would like to add some Bluetooth to the truck.

I'm confused as to the pros/cons of bluefusion and VCIM. So a little help would be greatly appreciated.

I know bluefusion will cost less and require me to run a mic wire. What about functionality? Will it show on my screen? will it allow me to do some voice calling? How is quality?

as far as VCIM swap - little more money than the bluefusion $100 vs $250. Do I get nav integration w/ the swap?

Steering wheel controls with either?

I guess I've confused myself I've read so much. Any help is appreciated!

As a note I'm picking up a GMX550 if that makes any difference in which I should get.

I haven't done the VCIM myself but i'm pretty sure you can use the steering wheel controls with it as it's factory. The VCIM shows up through the DIC though-- NOT your nav screen whereas the bluefusion will show up through your factory nav. I tried to install the BlueFusion with my GMX550 lockpick and got a lot of static and my friend who helped me with the install said piggybacking both of them together was causing the issue so I ended up selling the BlueFusion unit on eBay... Before I bought the bluefusion module I read a post somewhere online where someone did get it to work with the lockpick but I myself couldn't get it to work...

GlenB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
VCIM Swap

I have upgraded several VCIM upgrades. One was an upgrade from 7.0 to 8.1 that enabled NAV traffic. There are some tricks that you have to know before you can get your onstar working for calls and NAV traffic. If you are interested in knowing how reply to this message and I will provide all the steps you need to have a working new onstar with crash response, Handfree calling, and NAV Traffic.
Thanks,
Glen

GlenB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't want to go through every step if nobody is interested. I upgraded (replaced) a 2007 VCIM basic, and replaced it with a new 2010 W/BT. It installed with no problems under the dual lighters between the center console and dash. After I installed I had to set the device up using techlink the GM program the techs use to flash your BCM. When I was complete, the truck has all the streering wheel keys working as well as turning to mute button to a mute/bluetooth setup button. I called onstar, setup an account with NAV traffic, Google Maps Downloadable, and 300 base minutes for a new account. They have been using for three years now no issues even the onstar website monitors your vehicle.

Fitz08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to go through every step if nobody is interested. I upgraded (replaced) a 2007 VCIM basic, and replaced it with a new 2010 W/BT. It installed with no problems under the dual lighters between the center console and dash. After I installed I had to set the device up using techlink the GM program the techs use to flash your BCM. When I was complete, the truck has all the streering wheel keys working as well as turning to mute button to a mute/bluetooth setup button. I called onstar, setup an account with NAV traffic, Google Maps Downloadable, and 300 base minutes for a new account. They have been using for three years now no issues even the onstar website monitors your vehicle.

Does onstar see your vehicle or the donor vehicle when you call in? Was just wondering as I just installed part# 20829984 from a 2010 tahoe, Bluetooth works great and noticed I had both green lights so called them and they said thank you for purchasing the used 2010 Tahoe would you like to set up your new account and get 3 months free? I said sure, they now have all my info, they just think its a 2010 Tahoe.

Jimkjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have upgraded several VCIM upgrades. One was an upgrade from 7.0 to 8.1 that enabled NAV traffic. There are some tricks that you have to know before you can get your onstar working for calls and NAV traffic. If you are interested in knowing how reply to this message and I will provide all the steps you need to have a working new onstar with crash response, Handfree calling, and NAV Traffic.
Thanks,
Glen
Glen, I have a 2008 Sierra 1500. With generation 7 onstar and factory navigation. I also have a 2009 Yukon Denali XL with generation 8 onstar and a factory navigation. The 2009 allows Destenation Download directly to my Navigation/Radio unit. My 2008 only allows turn by turn downloads to my Drivier Information Center. Can I buy the same conponents that are in my 2009 and install them in my 2008 in order to recieve Destenation Download to the Navigation/Radio in my 2008 Sierra? Any direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated . Thanks jim

RichRoz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glen B
I'm interested in more detail as I want to do this mod to my '07 Z71.
Can u email?
- Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member