Bluefusion vs VCIM Swap.. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
How hard is the swap? If I were to pick up a new VCIM from say GMPartsDirect, could i simply switch the units and then have B/T? Is flashing necessary? I'm not currently an onStar subscriber, but I'm planning to add the service in the near future, but I plan on subscribing to the basic "safe & sound" plan. And if I add the new VCIM, will that allow me to monitor my Tahoe via the onStar RemoteLink app for my iPhone? Sorry if these questions have already been answered.

Hammer450R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VCIM swap is a piece of cake, takes about 15 minutes.
Works flawlessly, turns down radio and blower motor when making or receiving calls.
All steering wheel controls work as they are supposed to.
Mine is an 07 LT without Nav. And i didnt care for the Onstar

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
Now that I know it isn't a hassle to switch them out, is it at all difficult to become an onStar subscriber with the new VCIM? If I were to buy a new VCIM from GMPD and install it, would it be as simple as just pressing the onStar button after installation? Or would I need to have the unit flashed by a dealer?

david999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a 2011 VCIM 22794713 into a 2007 Escalade. Easy 15 min install. Bluetooth works perfect, but red light on onstar. What procedure does dealer need to do to flash vcim. They tried a onStar reconfiguration with TIS and Onstar activation programming using SPS, but when they entered year and model, it would not recognize VCIM. Should they just flash it using Tech2 and no TIS. They are willing, but don't do this ever....

Also, the 2011 VCIM had bluetooth input, but was missing the input for GPS (blue cable)that my old unit had; I left it unattached. Is this the cause of red light. NAV seems to pinpoint my vehicle ok....

MJRatliff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
David999 - yes, the GPS wire is the reason your red light is on. I tried the exact same thing in my 08 Tahoe hybrid and found this out. From 07-10 GM used two wires coming off of the GPS antenna - one to the vcim and one to your nav. In 2011 they switched this to one wire that only goes into your nav. If you talk to OnStar they will not be able to spot your location with the 2011 vcim due to it not having any connection to the GPS antenna. I ended up selling the 2011 vcim and purchasing a 2010 vcim. That way OnStar can find me if I have a wreck and I can also use their directions....it also made my red light turn green.

Hope this helps...good luck!

TinyTot2

Reaction score
David999 - yes, the GPS wire is the reason your red light is on. I tried the exact same thing in my 08 Tahoe hybrid and found this out. From 07-10 GM used two wires coming off of the GPS antenna - one to the vcim and one to your nav. In 2011 they switched this to one wire that only goes into your nav. If you talk to OnStar they will not be able to spot your location with the 2011 vcim due to it not having any connection to the GPS antenna. I ended up selling the 2011 vcim and purchasing a 2010 vcim. That way OnStar can find me if I have a wreck and I can also use their directions....it also made my red light turn green.

Hope this helps...good luck!

What part number did you end up buying? I almost pulled the trigger on the one David999 installed, but clearly an earlier model will work better. I keep looking for a 20829984 because I think that one will work.

Last edited:

david999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Combine GPS and CELL into one

Don't pull the trigger yet. I have it in a 2007 escalade and the blue tooth is perfect. Onstar light is red, presumably because GPS cable not connected. On my new VCIM (port at lower right is bluetooth) and the single coaxial input is multi-color coded (blue-gps and violet-cell) so I think that it accepts a combined signal. For the 2011 model year, changes were made to combine the GPS and cell coax connectors into one (see link below). GM sells a converter test kit which allows service department to test reception using a test antennae with old dual outputs. I need one of those units and I'm all set.

http://www.archivedsites.com/techlink/2010/10/2011-model-year-onstar-no-connection-issues.html

I am intrigued by comment above, are you sure that 2011 NAV units have separate GPS - I thought it came from VCIM....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Extrememri1

Latest posts