Brakes getting hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtrite

Reaction score
Today I noticed my 03 Tahoe z71 right rear brake smelled very hot after driving about an hour. I got home took it all apart and found no seized caliper, brake pads are good, slides are good. Everything looks great. I put it all back together and went for a drive. I drove 15 mins and then my left front was so hot I couldn’t get close to it, found excessive brake dust. Slides move freely. Figured I’d order a caliper and hose. I drove 15 mins home and my right rear is super hot again and my left front is ok. What the heck is going on lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I noticed my 03 Tahoe z71 right rear brake smelled very hot after driving about an hour. I got home took it all apart and found no seized caliper, brake pads are good, slides are good. Everything looks great. I put it all back together and went for a drive. I drove 15 mins and then my left front was so hot I couldn’t get close to it, found excessive brake dust. Slides move freely. Figured I’d order a caliper and hose. I drove 15 mins home and my right rear is super hot again and my left front is ok. What the heck is going on lol
you might want to swing by harbor freight or anywhere that sells the cheap infra-red thermometers and then you can check all 4 corners of your brakes and confirm it is just 1 getting hot and not all 4, etc

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @Doubeleive said. Brakes slow you/stop you because of friction and friction equals heat. I am not buying that the heat/smell problem is moving around on your truck. Plus, at the rear, consider that the smell/problem could be from parking brake problem.

"Left front was so hot I couldn't get close to it"? What does that mean? You could not get close, makes no sense to me. Could not touch, makes sense.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What @Doubeleive said. Brakes slow you/stop you because of friction and friction equals heat. I am not buying that the heat/smell problem is moving around on your truck. Plus, at the rear, consider that the smell/problem could be from parking brake problem.

"Left front was so hot I couldn't get close to it"? What does that mean? You could not get close, makes no sense to me. Could not touch, makes sense.
ya it doesn't make sense that one would get hot and then turn around and a different one would get hot instead. I mean it's certainly possible (somehow) but all 4 should be tested to confirm. maybe a pocket of air moving around? or abs pump really screwy,,, just guessing.
I have heated my brakes up to the point of almost catching on fire (like you might see in racing) and that didn't make enough heat for me to not get near it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, I have seen a smoking rotor or orange glow rotor pull in to my shops but could walk up to it, no problem. Seen lots of red hot rotors on NASCAR and they are still changing tires.

OP
OP
B

Bigtrite

Reaction score

Front left was so hot couldn’t get close to it means, put my face near the wheel and it was much hotter than the rest by a long shot and I couldn’t get my hands close to the rotor when I pulled the wheel. I’m not selling you anything so no need to “buy” the problem moving around bud. RR was very hot and could smell what a locked up caliper smells like. Drove again. LF was smelling like a locked up caliper. RF and LR were nowhere near as hot at the other 2 corners. Just as an FYI, I found the problem. LF brake hose is collapsed causing the LF to obviously get much hotter due to not releasing the pressure as fast. Still unsure why the RR is getting hot. I have 4 calipers, 4 rotors, all new pads and all 4 brake hoses on the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigtrite

Reaction score
ya it doesn't make sense that one would get hot and then turn around and a different one would get hot instead. I mean it's certainly possible (somehow) but all 4 should be tested to confirm. maybe a pocket of air moving around? or abs pump really screwy,,, just guessing.
I have heated my brakes up to the point of almost catching on fire (like you might see in racing) and that didn't make enough heat for me to not get near it.
I found the LF hose is collapsing but I’m still unsure why the RR was getting so hot. Today none of them got too hot. They were all about the same temp give or take. The LF has brake dust all over the wheel, wheel well and tire while the rest don’t. I just washed it 2 days ago so all the brake dust happened within 60 miles

OP
OP
B

Bigtrite

Reaction score
Yea, I have seen a smoking rotor or orange glow rotor pull in to my shops but could walk up to it, no problem. Seen lots of red hot rotors on NASCAR and they are still changing tires.
The rear could be the hose starting to collapse but they don’t have the metal bracket like the front does so I’m not sure. The park brake isn’t dragging, the piston compressed very easy, the pads are worn evenly and the slides are free

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Front left was so hot couldn’t get close to it means, put my face near the wheel and it was much hotter than the rest by a long shot and I couldn’t get my hands close to the rotor when I pulled the wheel. I’m not selling you anything so no need to “buy” the problem moving around bud. RR was very hot and could smell what a locked up caliper smells like. Drove again. LF was smelling like a locked up caliper. RF and LR were nowhere near as hot at the other 2 corners. Just as an FYI, I found the problem. LF brake hose is collapsed causing the LF to obviously get much hotter due to not releasing the pressure as fast. Still unsure why the RR is getting hot. I have 4 calipers, 4 rotors, all new pads and all 4 brake hoses on the way.
I was not buying the "problem moving around" as the initial description seemed to be saying. Then you also share more detail, other than "could not get close".

As always, I will respond to the info given. If you then get more detailed and share more info, then I can give a better opinion.

By the way, at 71 years old, I would ask with all sincerity, "bud" doesn't go over very well. If you wanted a more "mellow" response from me and others, we always do better when ALL info is shared. I cannot read minds.

OP
OP
B

Bigtrite

Reaction score
I was not buying the "problem moving around" as the initial description seemed to be saying. Then you also share more detail, other than "could not get close".

As always, I will respond to the info given. If you then get more detailed and share more info, then I can give a better opinion.

By the way, at 71 years old, I would ask with all sincerity, "bud" doesn't go over very well. If you wanted a more "mellow" response from me and others, we always do better when ALL info is shared. I cannot read minds.
All the info I have is listed. I’m not sure why the LF was not as hot the first time. I have a temp gun but it was not with me so I don’t know the exact numbers. The RR smelled hot but the LF definitely had that locked up caliper smell to it. I’m not sure if my Tahoe has 4 wheel ABS or not. I decoded all the RPO codes but none say anything about the ABS. I could smell hot brakes when I pulled into my garage and it was coming from the LF and RR when I got closer to them and smelled them. The RF and LR never had a hot smell or anything like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24