Brakes getting hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the info I have is listed. I’m not sure why the LF was not as hot the first time. I have a temp gun but it was not with me so I don’t know the exact numbers. The RR smelled hot but the LF definitely had that locked up caliper smell to it. I’m not sure if my Tahoe has 4 wheel ABS or not. I decoded all the RPO codes but none say anything about the ABS. I could smell hot brakes when I pulled into my garage and it was coming from the LF and RR when I got closer to them and smelled them. The RF and LR never had a hot smell or anything like that
you 100% have 4 wheel abs, that's why you have 4 abs sensors, collapsing lines could be from age or contamination. I personally flush the brakes annually the fluid gets burnt and it's no longer up to spec, brake fluid is hydroscopic it absorbs water (reducing the boiling point), if not flushed it can ruin the whole system.
brake fluid is normally clear looking not black.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
All the info I have is listed. I’m not sure why the LF was not as hot the first time. I have a temp gun but it was not with me so I don’t know the exact numbers. The RR smelled hot but the LF definitely had that locked up caliper smell to it. I’m not sure if my Tahoe has 4 wheel ABS or not. I decoded all the RPO codes but none say anything about the ABS. I could smell hot brakes when I pulled into my garage and it was coming from the LF and RR when I got closer to them and smelled them. The RF and LR never had a hot smell or anything like that
Yes, all info was listed, eventually. Two different posts finally contained all of it. I responded to the first one.

OP
OP
B

Bigtrite

Reaction score
you 100% have 4 wheel abs, that's why you have 4 abs sensors, collapsing lines could be from age or contamination. I personally flush the brakes annually the fluid gets burnt and it's no longer up to spec, brake fluid is hydroscopic it absorbs water (reducing the boiling point), if not flushed it can ruin the whole system.
brake fluid is normally clear looking not black.
Thank you! I’m going to flush the brake system when I change the calipers, hoses and pads. I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
B

Bigtrite

Reaction score
Perhaps since one caliper was dragging the vehicle’s stability control was compensating and the RR was doing extra braking?
The RR was definitely the hottest at 304 degrees while the fronts were both around 140 degrees and the LR was around 240 degrees. I just replaced all 4 rubber lines, all 4 calipers, rotors and pads and did the break in process. Now I’m getting 140 on the fronts and 220 on both rear. I’m not sure why the rear is working harder than the fronts but they work.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be sure to keep the reservoir full when flushing, if air gets in there you will have to purge the abs pump with a scan tool
To speed up the flushing I first use medicine syringe to suck out all of the old brake fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir. (Of course during this, dont even think about letting someone touch the brake pedal). Then fill it with new fluid so as your flushing you are putting fluid that is brand new into the lines and calipers which reduces the amount of fluid that you need get all the old stuff out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24