Brakes, Tried and True

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've read alot of threads on this already, and read manufacturer detail, but I want the skinny from actual users. I'm looking for new rotors and pads for the Nali XL. Price is a concern, I'd like to keep it under $500 for all 4 corners. I don't care about flash, look, color, style. .. I want performance. And by performance, my truck is used for the typical Socal soccer mom/grocery getter, so I don't need something track worthy. I've read Brembo, Bear, Centric, Napa Premium (which I'm leaning toward btw), "stuff" pads. But I want to hear from my fellow truck brethren, not wordy manufactuer pamphlets. What works for you, what do you like, and most importantly WHY. Cross drilled? Vented?? Slotted??? My theroy is that you gain cooling, but lose surface. Sigh, chip in here folks. I'm looking to do this with my tax return, so I have a few weeks/month to figure this all out. Thanks in advance for your response!!

BigRed76

SeniorGroupbuyMember
Reaction score
look at my sig ..... I LOVE THIS SETUP and have them on for 5000 miles already without the slightest bit of issue!!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EBC vented/slotted rotors and EBC green stuff pads. One of the best upgrades I did because the stock rotors did not perform well in the mountains especially with a camping load. Slightly shorter stopping distance, but there is no fade now. I have about ~25k on them with no problems and no degradation in performance.

For your use, IMO you only need vented rotors if you are trying to reduce costs. What mileage are you at and why are you changing the rotors and pads? Do you travel in the mountains at all?

OP
OP
B

Bryansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone framiliar with www.rotorwork.com products?

I have 77k on it now. I did a front brake job 2 months ago, which was the first time the rotors were turned. They had a bad pulse, and still do. The rears look extrememly glazed and are original as well. I just want new ones alltogether, and we do camp a bit, but in southern california, the weather is nice yearround so not too much hill/mountain driving.

SmallXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your needs, I would go with a brand name replacements. Bear, Brembo, etc are high perf brakes. Indeed better cooling and less fade, often at a cost of dust and higher optimal brake temp to work best.

Slap on some brand name replacement rotors and my Green Stuff pads and call it a day. I've used these in the past with SUV and worked well for the $$$.

1dopeHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at my sig ..... I LOVE THIS SETUP and have them on for 5000 miles already without the slightest bit of issue!!

I've had Akebono ceramics on about every car that I've owned...and absolutely love them. Great pad, great wear qualities and no dust.

CrashCade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
EBC Yellow Stuff pads are absolutely amazing, even with a stock rotor. Those are the only pad I would run on my Ram 2500 turning 40" tires and they were amazing.

Are the factory rotors prone to warping on the new body style suvs? I ask because I just bought a used burb and the rotors are warped, but the have never been turned, so I was just going to trun them and put the yellowstuff pads on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate