Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, evidently working on the intake wasn’t all I had on my to-do list. Javier reminded me that I had not replaced the lightening connector or the battery on his iPhone 7. It was very difficult for him to charge his phone due to a bad connector and a worn out battery didn’t help since it would lose its charge quickly. After about 1-1/2 hours of tearing an iPhone down about as far as you can and putting it back together, Javier now has a iPhone 7 with a new battery and a working lightening connector to charge it with. Next I get to change just View attachment 361375the battery in Molly’s iPhone 7 as well.
Awesome. I also went down the path of fixing my iPhones and friends over the years. I had to give up because my fat fingers couldn’t handle them tiny screws anymore lol

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I also went down the path of fixing my iPhones and friends over the years. I had to give up because my fat fingers couldn’t handle them tiny screws anymore lol
They sure are tiny. My problem is my eyes. I have progressive lenses and sometimes I’m having to look out of the very bottom of them to see what I’m doing. Add to that the fact that this particular project requires no less than 4 different screw driver bits. Penta-lobe, tri-lobe, Phillips, and stand-off bit.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a replacement seal for the phone to maintain the water resistance. IFIXIT has some great videos and step-by-steps as well as the parts and tools needed.
Awesome. Thanks for the link.

I used IFIXIT for my repairs also. Hell, back in the day, I did an all red iPhone 4 and polished the aluminum frame for my buddy Casey. Was very cool looking. Worked like shit because cheap chinese screen, but it looked cool lol

Edit: found a pic. Taken with iphone 4 as well. Look at that picture quality..:anitoof:

396B143A-8A4A-4522-95F7-B1C2D7C03D6F.jpegB29A2FA3-504D-4BB2-A361-80B279062AE2.jpeg

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the link.

I used IFIXIT for my repairs also. Hell, back in the day, I did an all red iPhone 4 and polished the aluminum frame for my buddy Casey. Was very cool looking. Worked like shit because cheap chinese screen, but it looked cool lol

Edit: found a pic. Taken with iphone 4 as well. Look at that picture quality..:anitoof:

View attachment 361392View attachment 361393
Hated these. Had someone bring me a blue one and of course it didn’t work. So I had to put the broken screen back on so the person had a functional phone then order a replacement and still have to take the phone apart A 2nd time to fix it. learned a valuable lesson in business. Either have back up materials and or don’t install customer provided parts lol.

Then a while later this kid I barely knew begged me to fix his iPhone 5 for whatever reason. I insisted that I didn’t want to do it. Long story short I did it and accidentally broke his phone. Honestly don’t know what happened but it wouldn’t turn on with the new screen or old screen. I had to walk away after that. The $50 I was making off a a screen repair didn’t outweigh that I practically owed the kid a replacement $1000 phone at the time. I think we went through insurance and I paid his deductible but after that I called it quits all together

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hated these. Had someone bring me a blue one and of course it didn’t work. So I had to put the broken screen back on so the person had a functional phone then order a replacement and still have to take the phone apart A 2nd time to fix it. learned a valuable lesson in business. Either have back up materials and or don’t install customer provided parts lol.

Then a while later this kid I barely knew begged me to fix his iPhone 5 for whatever reason. I insisted that I didn’t want to do it. Long story short I did it and accidentally broke his phone. Honestly don’t know what happened but it wouldn’t turn on with the new screen or old screen. I had to walk away after that. The $50 I was making off a a screen repair didn’t outweigh that I practically owed the kid a replacement $1000 phone at the time. I think we went through insurance and I paid his deductible but after that I called it quits all together
Sadly, I never charged anyone for doing it, for that reason alone. I did a bunch of screens, but mostly backs. Took 2 minutes and $10. Charge ports, speakers, batteries, etc. Then I took a 5 apart. SOOOOOOO much easier

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I will only do it for my family since I own the phones. I buy used iPhones as my kids don’t need $1000 phones. Heck I paid $200 for a used iPhone X for my wife and she loves it. Because if that, I’ve gotten pretty good at replacing batteries since people generally decide to get a different phone when theirs no longer holds a charge. I get a decent iPhone for $100-$200 and pay $35 for a battery and the phone works great.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will only do it for my family since I own the phones. I buy used iPhones as my kids don’t need $1000 phones. Heck I paid $200 for a used iPhone X for my wife and she loves it. Because if that, I’ve gotten pretty good at replacing batteries since people generally decide to get a different phone when theirs no longer holds a charge. I get a decent iPhone for $100-$200 and pay $35 for a battery and the phone works great.
You aren’t lying. My wife just got the iPhone 13 because someone is still spoiled by dad. And I’m guilty I have the 12. Honestly no difference than the iPhone X. These companies release a new phone every single year just to dig in our pockets lol

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, not much progress on Joseph’s truck. The temps at night this past week we’re getting down to the single digits by the time I got home so no go on that, then I got hit with COVID and it took a bit of a toll on me. Have been dealing with a lot of sinus pressure and coughing crap up from my lungs. Monitoring my pulse-ox and have been able to keep it over 93%. Get tired very easily now. Went out and helped Joseph install some wheel weights on his rider this afternoon and that about wiped me out. Hopefully it will be warmer this week and I will get my energy back enough to get his truck finished up and back on the road.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, not much progress on Joseph’s truck. The temps at night this past week we’re getting down to the single digits by the time I got home so no go on that, then I got hit with COVID and it took a bit of a toll on me. Have been dealing with a lot of sinus pressure and coughing crap up from my lungs. Monitoring my pulse-ox and have been able to keep it over 93%. Get tired very easily now. Went out and helped Joseph install some wheel weights on his rider this afternoon and that about wiped me out. Hopefully it will be warmer this week and I will get my energy back enough to get his truck finished up and back on the road.
No bueno. A friend of mine was hit with Rona induced pneumonia. She ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks and is still on oxygen even after coming home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curtisleefarmer

Latest posts