BW4485 Transfer Case Rebuild DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Campbesl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Folks!

At 200,000 miles my 2012 Yukon Denali XL has a lot of clunk going on in the transfer case. It is easily traced to the transfer case by individually grabbing and twisting the front and rear drive shafts; the lash in the chain is very obvious.

I see rebuilt units on EBay for $995 plus taxes and shipping. Locally I've gotten quotes around $1200 but that is ****.

I found a thread on here where someone linked a parts list for a total of about $300. What I need is a good set of DIY instructions so that I can do it myself.

I hope that everybody is safe after hurricanes Helene and Milton.

Best regards,

Scott

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks!

At 200,000 miles my 2012 Yukon Denali XL has a lot of clunk going on in the transfer case. It is easily traced to the transfer case by individually grabbing and twisting the front and rear drive shafts; the lash in the chain is very obvious.

I see rebuilt units on EBay for $995 plus taxes and shipping. Locally I've gotten quotes around $1200 but that is ****.

I found a thread on here where someone linked a parts list for a total of about $300. What I need is a good set of DIY instructions so that I can do it myself.

I hope that everybody is safe after hurricanes Helene and Milton.

Best regards,

Scott
It's not a difficult job. The hard part is the planetary set needs to be clocked right for it to work when you're done. There are some YT videos out there of guys rebuilding very similar TC's that might be helpful.

The BW4485 in my '07 has had a ton of slop in the chain for the past 55K at least. It makes for some clunks, but so far it's holding together. I could rebuild it on the bench but I found a local shop that will do it, including R&R labor for about the same as a reman would cost for just the TC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonS