CAI, do I really need one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVMS

Reaction score
The only kit I would consider is one that seals off from the engine bay like the stock one does (volant also makes a nice one). I use to have an airaid but once I put the whipple on and started monitering IAT's, I switched back to stock box. The stock airbox does just fine. You probably could benefit some by changing the tube from the throttle to the air filter box.

+1...

But i must admit... on my 94' W/T even a crappy AirRaid did a lot to improve performance....

The main thing is that the cone filters generally have more surface area than the stock box (also made of superior filtering material)... and the solid tubing coupled with the elimination of the nonsensical factory intake box's bends and restrictions make for a much better intake system.

I would stay away from AirRaid at all costs!.... i had to cut out the center and do some "creative modification" with sheet metal and silicon sealant because the part they gave me was threaded wrong and cracked the throttle body bolt hole(remember 94' c1500 W/T).

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So isn't anyone with a CAI monitoring thier CAI temps before and after during idle and hwy running during the summer warmer ambient temps?

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been toying the idea of the full K&N CAI package, but the best price that I got in canada was $300...

So, Last night I read this thread.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14022&highlight=swiss+cheese+mod

And boy did I get excited.
So I started out by drilling 1" holes in the bottom of the air box, then I had a great idea! Why not make it a poor mans CAI kit by removing a chunk of the top as well? So I already had my dremel out cleaning the EGR valve, I sliced out the top of the OEM box, and I saved the part incase that I don't like this Mod then I can just put that peice in place with some hot glue.

I'm going to monitor my Intake temps with this mod to see if it makes any kind of difference in temps.

And I used some shocks labour warranty money to order a K&N drop in replacement filter!

picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm marginally dissapointed.

Let me tell you what I've noticed so far.
I'm using my maxitrip scan tool to monitor the trucks computer readings while I'm driving. It sits on top of the steering column.

First IA temps. It sucks, at least 10-20 degrees higher than the stock box at idle. I've recorded at least a 73degree IA with ambient temp of 36degree at idle. When driving on the highway the IA temp drops to ambient of 36. In essence even though I avoided cutting out the section facing the hot engine like the heat shielded CAI kits the temps are higher than stock. All temps are in celcius. Again if anyone has the full CAI from K&N I'm curious to know your IA temps at idle vs ambient temps.

Second performance. At first I thought it was good and noticable, but then I realized by monitoring the TPS sensor that I simply had my foot into it a bit harder. When I tried to figure out why, I realized today that it was because I liked the sound that the open box was making. If I drive with my foot at the same level(verified by monitoring TPS levels) as before mod, then I can't tell any difference - Highway cruzing or accelleration.

Third the sound. I like it. I find myself tromping it at every green light, just to hear that sound. It's addictave. Next time when your doing 100kms on the highway, just floor it until you hit the governer at 160kms. That sound is awesome!

Fourth fuel economy. IDK yet. It's too soon for me to tell, and I figure that because I'm addicted to that sound any gains in MPG are offset by my new lead foot. When I calm down next week, I'll look into fuel economy.

This is all with my stock used probably dirty air filter. My new K&N drop in hasn't arrived yet. I'll revisit this after it arrives.

Maybe I'll get one of those ported throttle bodies from Jantzer. IDK, I'll see what foreverfalcon40 says about his. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16255

Anyways thanks for listening to my rants!

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ 99yuk,you may see a slightly better difference with the K&N drop in.

Also you would have been better off leaving your stock airbox 'uncut'....As you verified,you are taking in more heat.

I just added in a drop in Spectre filter and noticed better mid and top end pull.Hitting 100 mph for me takes no time at all.Also basic acceleration takes less throttle than before.IMO the motor seems to breath 40% better than before.MPG was good before but seems slightly better now.

I mean take a stock air filter and compare to a K&N and or Spectre filter.You should be able to clearly see why their would be an improvement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Open Road