CAI Intakes??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scarpin16

Reaction score
I've been reading all over the forum but I still can't decide which way to go. I would like y'alls thoughts and opinions on

1. ordering a CAI and if so which do you recommend?

2. making the "Swiss Cheese" CAI from the OEM intake?

If you have any specs on performance and MPG would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order an AEM brute force and call it a day. Thats the way I went and couldnt be happier, I also hear alot of people do the swiss cheese on the airbox and drop in a K&N but I would stay away from an oiled filter.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread.. :)
That's a good thread to look at.

For my answer I did the swiss cheese mod on the air filter box & installed the airaid jr kit (just intake tube & filter) that uses the stock air filter box.

Cameron

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the Autozone Spectre full intake got it for $100 and gained about 2mpgs i think but kept floorin it when i first got it because i love the sound

HoeRoller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Swiss cheese, stock box cut and a home made wrapped 4" tube for under $15.00. Sounds good, hauls ass and 1.5 mpg gain when I'm being nice to her.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recorded number again on my 2003 Tahoe yesterday. The last time I did this was on 9/1/10, before CAI install. That day in September the high temp was 73 and I did the test around 2 pm, so probably near high. My intake temp range from 100 to 77. The 100 was at startup, so must have been in the sun. 77 was a low, mostly around lower 80s.

I've since installed a K&N premium CAI. Yesterday, ran numbers for 40 min drive to my mtb ride. Outside temps were in high 50s. My intake temps stayed at ambient temp the whole time, right around 58.

BTW, I noticed a nice HP and torque gain after installing the CAI, I believe K&N number on the 4.8 and 5.3s were right around 18 + hp and ft/lbs. I believe I got that, if not more. It was very noticeable. In contrast after installing my cat-back, just noticed the nice sound, but not really hp gain. Also, the CAI adds a nice throaty sound.

Also, I recorded an average of 50 mph on the trip and 22 mpg. I'm good with that.

02YuNali916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the diff between AEM brute force & K&N Cold Air Intakes? Is it just the brand? Performance? MPG?

gdddup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loving my slp intake ive seen better performance n mpg's since installing it