cam upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chughart

Reaction score
hey everybody, ill start with a little back story and then get to my question. i bought a 12 yukon xl denali in 01/23 that had a jasper rebuilt engine put in it and a bunch of other replaced parts. fast forward and ive now developed a noise from the engine which i believe is coming from the lifters/cam.

ive contacted jasper about the noise and they said i need to have it checked out (im a master honda tech at a honda dealer) so im planning on having it looked at through the shop i work at. im going to check the oil pressure to make sure it isnt a pressure delivery issue and if the oil pressure is good then im going to contact jasper and see how they want me to proceed. if theyll let me supply my own parts or let the shop supply the parts then id like to go a cam upgrade route but if they supply their parts then ill just install the cam/lifters they supply and be done with it.

everything ive looked at the noise sounds just like a noisy lifter/cam. i want to install a stage 1 texas speed dod/afm delete cam with all the other parts (https://www.glennsautoperformance.c...peed-tsp-truck-cam-kit?variant=15552925663275) thats the cam kit im looking at. how much better is this cam over stock? and has anybody used this cam before? and im assuming the autocal tune from blackbear will be all i need to tune the pcm for the upgrades/deletes?

just trying to see if this is the correct way to proceed with this issue.

thanks.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
hey everybody, ill start with a little back story and then get to my question. i bought a 12 yukon xl denali in 01/23 that had a jasper rebuilt engine put in it and a bunch of other replaced parts. fast forward and ive now developed a noise from the engine which i believe is coming from the lifters/cam.

ive contacted jasper about the noise and they said i need to have it checked out (im a master honda tech at a honda dealer) so im planning on having it looked at through the shop i work at. im going to check the oil pressure to make sure it isnt a pressure delivery issue and if the oil pressure is good then im going to contact jasper and see how they want me to proceed. if theyll let me supply my own parts or let the shop supply the parts then id like to go a cam upgrade route but if they supply their parts then ill just install the cam/lifters they supply and be done with it.

everything ive looked at the noise sounds just like a noisy lifter/cam. i want to install a stage 1 texas speed dod/afm delete cam with all the other parts (https://www.glennsautoperformance.c...peed-tsp-truck-cam-kit?variant=15552925663275) thats the cam kit im looking at. how much better is this cam over stock? and has anybody used this cam before? and im assuming the autocal tune from blackbear will be all i need to tune the pcm for the upgrades/deletes?

just trying to see if this is the correct way to proceed with this issue.

thanks.
Do you want the cam sound or the performance? Texas speed 224 cam is good for that chop sound without needing a stall converter or internal mods
My buddy loves his Texas speed stage 2 truck cam as well
I had a stage 4 cam in my previous truck and without a stall the daily drivability became a issue I could do it but it weren’t comfortable so to say so really it’s all what your trying to accomplish out of the build
If it were me a dod delete and 224 cam would be it with some good lifters but I want that chop chop chop sound

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
Ya I don’t care about the sound honestly just looking for a gain over stock and get rid of that damn dod/afm.

But I called jasper today to ask if the shop I’m taking it to could supply the parts or if they supply the parts and the guy told me they usually supply the parts so given I don’t want to spend 2k on this engine at the moment when it still under warranty it’s looking like if it is the lifter making the noise it’ll just be a stock cam and lifters for the time being.

I may however still do the tune since that would disable the dod/afm and give some better performance while I’m towing.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
from what the guy at jasper said is they supply the parts and install what originally came in the engine so thats the "stock" parts theyll send. if the engine wasnt under warranty still i would just buy that cam kit and tune and be done with it but i dont want to "waste" money on something that is still under warranty.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
Ok so quick question. What is acceptable oil pressure at idle at operating temp? I have a manual gauge on it and it’s sitting at 16-20psi at 500-600 rpm. If I rev it up to 2k it goes to 30-35psi and if I rev to 3k it goes to 40psi

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of those are on the low side of acceptable, as in, most of us prefer a wee lil bit more.
What grade of motor oil do you use, and when did you last change it?

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
I used 3 qts of 1030 and 3 qts of 1540 to see if I could get the pressure up and that was about 700 miles ago

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
I usually use 5w30 oil but this oil change I wanted something thicker to see if the pressure would come up.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, using 15w40, you got 16-20psi @ 500-600RpM, 30-35psi @ 2000RpM, & 40psi @ 3000RpM?
More experienced opinions will chime in, and I will contradict myself by saying that too much oil pressure is at best useless and at worst counterproductive ...
but I think you need to find out definitively why your oil pressures are low.
If this was a noiseless phenomenon, and you got GREAT MpGs, I'd be vigilant but not quite worried ...
but the hairs on the back of my neck say find out if the noise is in any way connected to the low oil pressures.

Meanwhile try Valvoline Restore & Protect 10W40 til winter, and use a PF61 or similarly larger sized oil filter.

Worst case scenario, plan for a 6.0L engine replacement, that way you won't need a cam upgrade or anything like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forevertheone187