Can I flux core mig weld a custom exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bloomfield, NJ * Lewes Beach, DE * Buenos Aires
Do we have any welding or exhaust experts here? I REALLY want to build this exhaust myself. I can get a universal steel exhaust kit that has all of the piping that I would need. But I'm brand new at welding and I'm wondering if flux core MIG welding is sufficient to build this exhaust? It's a stock 5.3 and I don't plan on building the motor with this exhaust.

I ordered two valved mufflers from Valvetronic Designs for my 2015 Tahoe LTZ. My plan is to chop the stock muffler and reroute the 3.5" exhaust from the flex pipe over to the vehicle centerline right behind the spare tire. I'm going to remove the spare (was going to do this anyway), add a Y splitter, route to the left and right Valvetronic muffler and then point those straight out the back. Each tip will have a second Y pipe with dual 4" burnt titanium tips.

(tips will exit the back similar to this, only I want my tips to stick out a little farther–maybe an inch)
Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 9.56.54 PM.png

Dual valved mufflers
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 3.02.35 PM.png

Y pipe for the tips
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 3.04.42 PM.png

Burnt titanium tips
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 3.05.36 PM.png

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can MIG that. That oughta look real sharp when you're done. Get some practice in before you tackle that. You're gonna want that to look real nice I'm sure. Without some practice that's not likely.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check with a local muffler shop first. We have a couple in my area that do really good work, know what they're doing, and very reasonable in pricing. Welding thin tubing is not easy to do - even if you do have some experience. You have some really nice parts there, be a shame to mess it up. One crooked or off angle welded fit would ruin the whole thing.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some nice parts to be flux core welding and being new at it, hmmm.

While it's not the most desirable for exhaust work, it can be done.
Grab yourself a few cans of anti-spatter before you start welding with flux-core and you should be ok. Spray the sheit out of everything before welding.
If every joint is a lap joint, it would make the process a lot easier than a but weld.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shredd_guy