Carpet spill/odor...milk. Help Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogue status hoho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. so one of my friends decided to spill some milk underneath my backseat.. I just found it 2 days later after it started smelling really badly! What remedy's for cleaners and techniques do you use??? I need to find something! The odor is killing me!

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
I'm not joking here but I've always been told that if you spill MILK in a car. SELL IT!!!

My father owned a garage and dealership in England and he always told me that if you spill milk in a car, your done. It gets into all the cracks and crevices in the floor and it's almost impossible to elliminate the smell of the rotten milk.

Sorry to give you bad news like that.

WrenchGuy

WrenchGuy
Reaction score
Stick a sock full of coffee under there for a little while.

Old movers trick.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm...pull the carpet up and check the padding...its called Jute that is the padding in the carpet. Likely its not seeped down, so I would take it to a car wash that steam cleans carpet and tell them to clean the carpet 3x.

B

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
Umm...pull the carpet up and check the padding...its called Jute that is the padding in the carpet. Likely its not seeped down, so I would take it to a car wash that steam cleans carpet and tell them to clean the carpet 3x.

B

Depending on how much milk was spilt it may have gone through the padding. To really clean the smell, you would have to strip the car bare of carpet, trim, seats before you could steam the floor.
Milk is truly one of the worst things to spill in a car.

Good luck anyways

JD

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used to be a detailer in my teen years..... take some alcohol and put some on the padding... not the carpet cause it can bleach it out.. let that dry for a lil while then i would definately hit up the detailer and have him steam that spot a few times and see if they have an air purifier treatment (my shop used to have one while i was there... milk and cat urine is the worst to try and get rid of. hopefully ur friend didnt spill a whole lot... if he did prepare for new carpet:Boo:

OP
OP
rogue status hoho

rogue status hoho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for all the great advice!! I really appreciate it... I'm praying it doesn't need to have the carpet replaced.. can't afford it. I've been scrubbing it with Natures Cure and a wet vaccum that sprays scrubs then sucks out all the water... and then drying it with a heater fan. It seems to have gotten rid of it a little bit. I'll keep doing that. Once again THANK YOU!

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anytime man... post a new rule to ur friends..... no dairy products in ur ride lol

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I'd be telling the guy who spilled the milk to fork over some cash. I would seriously make him pay for cleaning that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greene9525