Changing interior color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danniboi

Reaction score
Has anybody tried or succesfully attempted painting the interior trim panels, I currently have beige on the inside and since the outside is black Im trying to go for black and charcoal gray accents. I started with plastidip but thats just no good, too much dust accumulation and scuffs and tears too easily. Any one got any suggestions for doing the door panels and abs plastic pieces?

OP
OP
danniboi

danniboi

Reaction score
Yeah I saw his ride and walk through as well. He did some gnarly stuff.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He sure did it definitely is a custom truck. I wish I had the skill set!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Which panels? I did touch up work on mine with water based Dye Colorants.
The hard plastic panels will need an adhesion promoter or plastic primer. The softer vinyl can just be painted. It is best to take them out of the truck and spray.

OP
OP
danniboi

danniboi

Reaction score
I found the right formula so all I need is time now. For the interior plastics pull em out clean em with duplicolor wax and grease remover thoroughly and dry with cloth, did this twice. 2 coats of dupli color adhesion promoter and let dry for about 10 mins then 3 light coats of Rust Oleum black bumper and trim paint and it came out perfect. I took my fingernails to it and it wasnt coming off like my test piece where I just laid the paint direct. Do not do these steps for the vinyl door panels, learned that the hard way. I did all of the following steps and the paint never dried remained tacky. Im gonna go with vinly prep which is supposed to open up the "pores" no adhesion promoter and vinyl paint.

OP
OP
danniboi

danniboi

Reaction score
Wow that looks good. Well I'm just using the wax and grease remover and adhesion, but for vinyl I am definitely going to use SEM soap and Vinyl Prep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968