Changing rotted backing plates/dust shields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Yes you can do both axles at the same time. Once you remove the cross shaft/pin, the procedure for removing the axles is the same for both sides. Just push the axle in a bit and the c-clip will reveal itself and you can remove it with a magnet. I only showed the passengers side, but you can do both sides at that time once the shaft is out.

This is what it will look like. You can see both clips will be visible and accessible at the same time. Note that in this picture, the right side axle is pushed in and the c-clip is removed. The left side axle is still in place and has not been pushed in yet and the c-clip is still seated..
80923812.jpg

oneradride

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you.. I started it tonight.. but this is going to have to wait until the weekend...... :(

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I see you did it on the floor with a jack and some stands. Wasn't that bad without a lift right? Did you have to use all hand tools, or you have air tools? Just trying to get the input from guys that have to do this at their house. Looks good though. Was there anything I missed in the instructions?
Shane

oneradride

Reaction score
I have air but just used it to get the wheels off. I jacked it up about a foot from the differential housing, then placed jack stands under the frame rails just before the trailing arms. Then I lowered the rear axle back down and the truck stayed up. This gave be lots of room to get the 10 bolts out, etc. I would say 3 hours is about right on the money also. I took a little longer because I painted the calipers and detailed things up a bit... Your instructions were spot on, I don't think I would have tried this without them. Thanks for being so thorough and giving me the confidence. A+ Sir!
I just noticed your user name! Did you happen to see what's on the other side of my Yukon below? (click the link) :)

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ah, I'm in good company I see.. Normally I'm fairly observant, but I missed your 70.. Not to go too far off track from the topic at hand, but here's mine..
goodguys2.jpg

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im wondering if this could be the culprit of my brakes squeeling, the plates dont look rotted but i have a constant squeeling thats only while driving, it goes away when i apply the brakes. and my brakes and rotors are still pretty new and have good life left so i know its not my brakes

FunkyBoss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice write up!

My wife's '03 yukon XL is making a grinding noise while making left turns, sounds like it's coming from the rear passanger side. Could this be the culprit? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRebel