Changing Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBTJ

Reaction score
Just bought a 04 and decided better change the plugs on it. 118k so didn't know when the last time it might have been done. Changed many of plugs on my older Chevy trucks, 350 motors, so I figured this would be as easy. Boy was I wrong. Took me almost 2 hours. Back passenger side was the worst. Had to remove a metal deflector for the AC condensate drain to get the socket on there. Destroyed 4 of the wires. Took about 2 ounces of flesh off my hands. What a pain. I think next time I'll pay the shop to do it.

abishoff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I just did the same thing 2days ago. I went went MSD wires and E3 plugs. Removing the wires were the worst. Almost every wire separated from the plug boot! I made sure to use plenty on Di-electric grease so next time the boots will pull right off the plugs.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no clue how it takes so long to do the plugs on our trucks. As you know already the worst part is removing stuck boots off the plugs.

But that back plug is easy if you put the socket with a swivel on the plug first and then put the ratchet on. I have huge hands which makes things more difficult but the whole job took me about 25 minutes.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
Lol I just did the same thing 2days ago. I went went MSD wires and E3 plugs. Removing the wires were the worst. Almost every wire separated from the plug boot! I made sure to use plenty on Di-electric grease so next time the boots will pull right off the plugs.

I went with the AC Delco Iridium plugs and wires. Seems that most here used them. I also used dielectric grease and antisieze on the plugs. Least it will make it easier for the next guy to remove. :)

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

I have no clue how it takes so long to do the plugs on our trucks. As you know already the worst part is removing stuck boots off the plugs.

But that back plug is easy if you put the socket with a swivel on the plug first and then put the ratchet on. I have huge hands which makes things more difficult but the whole job took me about 25 minutes.

I tried that, but could not get the ratchet on. There was some little metal drip pan or shield that was in the way. I had to remove it, then it was easier. Caution, that object is as sharp as knives thus removing flesh while pulling it out of the way.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I was able to bend that shield and make it a little easier when I did mine. It still took 10 minutes just to change that rear plug tho. As far as wires go, I only broke 2 of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968