Chevy Tahoe 2018 Engine 5.3l. Engine belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is pretty easy to fix, just push wheel tensioner and put back belt on it
you just need a ratchet and stick the male end right there at the arrow and apply force to move the tensioner over to place the belt back on where it should be
beltt.JPG

OP
OP
A

Asset

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you just need a ratchet and stick the male end right there at the arrow and apply force to move the tensioner over to place the belt back on where it should be
View attachment 433864
Yeap, but the question is why it came out from wheel and you see the belt is already wear out . Probably need to change . I can smell strong burning smell of rubber

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeap, but the question is why it came out from wheel and you see the belt is already wear out . Probably need to change . I can smell strong burning smell of rubber
it should not come off on it's own, when you have it fully loose check the other pulleys and see if one is loose or floppy, you might have a worn part, the water pump can wear out and start to wobble.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is pretty easy to fix, just push wheel tensioner and put back belt on it
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Yes, put the belt back on the tensioner and see if it stays there during an idle. If it does, then you could baby it and drive it to the dealer.

Conversely, if you have another mode of transportation, you could buy a new belt and tensioner and install them yourself in less than 1/2 hour. Easy job.

OP
OP
A

Asset

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's the first pic turned counterclockwise 90°. When pics are posted, they're much easier to understand if they are properly oriented. And they don't hurt my neck. ;)

View attachment 433885
Thank you, I used no original parts, Bought Belt and Tensioner in AutoZone.
I notice strange thing, that when I took off original tensioner, the bolt which hold tensioner was not tight, it was kind of loose. It did not take any force to unscrew it.
My car was at dealer 2 weeks ago for oil change and apparently dealer is not checking anything at engine. :oops: which is scary. Ican imagine if I had this issue at highway.:eek:
I'm curious, how much did I save when did it myself?
Anyone knows, how much cost to replace Tensioner and belt at dealer?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I used no original parts, Bought Belt and Tensioner in AutoZone.
I notice strange thing, that when I took off original tensioner, the bolt which hold tensioner was not tight, it was kind of loose. It did not take any force to unscrew it.
My car was at dealer 2 weeks ago for oil change and apparently dealer is not checking anything at engine. :oops: which is scary. Ican imagine if I had this issue at highway.:eek:
I'm curious, how much did I save when did it myself?
Anyone knows, how much cost to replace Tensioner and belt at dealer?
probably $200-300 oem belt, tensioner, labor. maybe a little more

2015Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Labor rate at the local dealer is 179hr, it probably pays .9 to do the tensioner, then the cost of parts, easily around 400 all said and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbower11

Latest posts