Child windows over ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrappycrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "child window" safety claim about how far the windows go down started in the '70s, but there's no validity for it being a legal requirement. It's simply due to the door shape & mechanism design.

If it were true, my US-spec '80s BMW's rear windows wouldn't have legally been allowed to go down fully, and there'd be window safety warnings about children sitting up front in the owner's manual.

EDITED to clarify I am talking about how far the windows go down, not the switch function.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does this make me think of how vehicles' visibility (glass-to-metal ratio) is getting worse,
especially behind the driver?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, do the rear windows go all the way done on some gmt900?

cause that would be nice haha. mine do not.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "child window" safety claim started in the '70s, but there's no validity for it being a legal requirement. It's simply due to the door shape & mechanism design.

If it were true, my US-spec '80s BMW's rear windows wouldn't have legally been allowed to go down fully, and there'd be window safety warnings about children sitting up front in the owner's manual.
the user is referring to the drivers window switch lock, i.e. winow lock, prevents errant children from rolling the rear windows up and down annoyingly
the child "door" lock is a separate switch on the rear doors to prevent the same "errant" child from opening the rear door from the inside.
in 2015 the rear child "door" lock was relocated to the drivers door switch along side the window lock switch and the window lock switch only works for the rear windows.
in any case the switches have nothing to do with how far the glass goes up or down, on the short wheel base trucks previous to 2021 the rear window glass only goes down part way because of the curve in the door and the glass is curved as well to allow the maximum movement possible. So a rear door glass does not fit a long wheel base truck and vica-versa. ran into a couple guys at the junkyard recently that were under the impression it would, had to explain it to them.

the only reason they say to not have children up front is due to the airbag, hence it is often automatically turned on/off via a weight pressure sensor under the passenger seat pad, some single cab trucks have a manual switch to turn it off because there is no backseat. Has nothing to do with window operation.

Scrappycrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the user is referring to the drivers window switch lock, i.e. winow lock, prevents errant children from rolling the rear windows up and down annoyingly
the child "door" lock is a separate switch on the rear doors to prevent the same "errant" child from opening the rear door from the inside.
in 2015 the rear child "door" lock was relocated to the drivers door switch along side the window lock switch and the window lock switch only works for the rear windows.
in any case the switches have nothing to do with how far the glass goes up or down
Understood. I was referring to how far the windows go down, but I guess that wasn't evident. I will edit to clarify.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3